Auditions

We unloaded the buses once we arrived at arena, and quickly made our way inside. Frank told us that we needed to get as much practice in as possible since we had multiple performances over the next three days.

The tech and lighting crew were setting up the equipment when I saw Michael and Frank turn to us dancers in the middle of the stage. "Okay, so we have good news and bad news. . ." Frank spoke into the microphone. He paused for a moment, "which would everyone like to here first?" He asked. Collectively, everyone grumbled bad news, probably not really caring what it was, unless it affected them personally.

"The bad news is Stephanie Brown broke her leg last night when she was in her hotel room. Her roommate said she slipped and fell when she got out of the shower. Very unfortunate really. . ." He said, trailing off. No one knew how to respond, so the group remained quiet until he continued, "for those of you who may have not been paying attention for the duration of this tour, Stephanie played Michael's love interest in The Way You Make Me Feel number. "  

"So what?" Some dude shouted from behind me.

"So,"  he said, glaring, " that means that there's an opening for that part." 

A few girls squealed behind me, actually most of them did. Except me. I groaned. I get enough of this guy criticizing me off stage. . .

"Isn't there a back-up dancer for Stephanie or something?" I whisper complained to Stacey. She shrugged just as Frank answered my question.

"Her back-up, Joy, isn't able to do it either. Joy will be giving birth to her first child in a few months, and we need someone who is able to perform for the rest of the tour. So while auditions for this role are not required of all female dancers, they are highly encourage. Ladies: if you feel so inclined, feel free to utilize the stage to stretch and warm-up. We will begin the auditions in about an hour and a half."

DJ immediately turned to me and roughly grabbed my arm, "Kelly, you have to try out with us!"

I looked down at her hands clasped around my forearm, "Ha! I think not. . . And can you let go? This hurts." I said, gesturing to my arm. She released me, but the smile remained plastered across her face.

"Oh please? Come on, the worst that could happen was that you don't get the part."

Clearly she hadn't been listening to me.

"I don't want the part anyways."

"Still, c'mon!" She begged.

"DJ, really, I don't want this part. Besides, I'm confident that I would run circles around these other girls if I tried out. There's no point." I joked. She rolled her eyes, "well, if you're so great, why don't you put your money where your mouth is? This would be a great chance for other artists to see you dance solo."

I sighed softly, "if you want this part too, why are you encouraging me to do this?"

She shrugged, but smiled at me. "Because you're still my friend and I want you to have all opportunities possible."

I thought about it momentarily before huffing out the word fine.

 "Yay!" She squeaked.

Soon after our conversation, Michael took the microphone and spoke, "if you all will please follow my choreographer  to stage right, she'll teach you a few of the moves that you'll need to know," he said smiling softly.

Before walking away, he set the mic back on the stand and peered over the group. For a instant, I was almost certain he was looking at me. Not looking over me as he was doing to everyone, but rather at me.

Either way I shook off the stare, not thinking too hard about it, and followed Stacia and DJ to the right of the stage to learn that stupid routine.

About 2 hours later

Two hours later, the auditions are flying by quickly. Each girl goes up individual to dance with Michael, while the rest of the group remains towards the back of the stage.

I began cracking my knuckles out of nervousness, which seems silly since I'm a singer and I'm on stage all the time, but I've never really danced in front of anyone before. At least, not this many people. 

We only had to dance from the beginning of the song to the end of the chorus, but still, I felt that it would take a life time to push through.

Stacia finished and skipped away, but she mouthed good luck to me before I stepped out onto the stage. I walked faster then I normally did, I just wanted to get this over with. When Michael saw me approach the front of the stage, a large smile formed on his gentle face.

We moved into our positions, which was him and I facing left with him pressed softly up against my back.

Even though he was behind me, I was almost certain he could feel my heart beat from the extreme anxiety I felt. He laughed slightly, "nervous?" He spoke into my ear.

"Totally." I breathed out. I heard the music start, and him quickly whisper, "don't be."

I pulled myself together enough to start off the routine well. The first verse consisted of repeated steps of Michael flirting with me through body movements, while I walked around playing hard to get. It became awkward for me during the chorus, since he was advancing on me. I knew it was part of the dance, but it still made me feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately for me, this caused me to almost trip and fall. Michael must've anticipated this, and he was able to catch my mistake. Thankfully it was towards the very end of the routine, so instead of crumbling to the ground, I ended in his arms.

Of course everyone clapped out of courtesy when we finished, which made me feel a little better about all this. . . but not by much.

Michael pulled me up gracefully from my mishap and told me I did very well. I  thanked him quietly and and hurried off the stage to go sit and hide before the ridicule could begin.

"Ooh, girl!" DJ exclaimed as I plopped onto the ground.

"If you're gonna tell me how bad I did, I already know, and I don't want to here it." I said putting my sweaty face into my hands.

"You were amazing, it's like you two were connected or something!" She said cheerily to me.

"Please don't say that, I get enough of him already." I said, wiping my face of tears or sweat. I couldn't tell. I looked forward to watch the next performance.

I really shouldn't have though because it was Jennifer's turn.

When the music started I just couldn't stop watching, I was shocked by how good of a dancer she really was. I have seen her dance before, but it was nowhere near as good then as it was now.

As they continued to move slowly together, I envied the ease and connection they emanated.

Wait, I couldn't be jealous of them together.

There's no way .  . .

Right?