Into the Rainforest

They soared over the ocean, tired and hungry. Hiccup knew Willow was crying into her arm, but he didn't show it. He only had a vague idea of where they were going, so he hoped Willow would be able to navigate soon. If not, Marina could just lead them to where they were headed.

Seeing as he had nothing else to do, Hiccup decided to listen in on Toothless's conversation with Marina.

"- they were so young, Bring and Dontlet. They deserved more in life."

"They may not be gone. Perhaps they were just captured," Toothless said.

Marina turned her head away. "You don't know the Bloody Barbarians. They're ruthless, cruel, unforgiving, to name a few. The only live prisoners they've taken are me and my rider. And even then, their intent was to kill."

There was silence between them, before Toothless spoke again. "We should set down for the day. We need rest. We can continue to the Rainforest in the evening."

Marina just nodded before angling her wings downward. They had been flying over water at top speed for a while. Land was just peeking over the horizon.

Marina sprinted towards the land, and in an hour they were there. They set down on a warm beach, with mountains towering behind them.

Willow had since stopped crying, and she explained to Hiccup that the Rainforest was just beyond the mountains.

The sun was high in the sky when the dragons laid down to rest. Hiccup crawled into his dragon's wings, the darkness pulling him into sleep.

➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰

Hiccup and Willow woke at sunset to fire and the smell of burning fish. On the beach, a small fire crackled, and on a slab of rock next to it sat five fish. The tails were falling in the fire, and looked blacker than Toothless.

The Night Fury was sitting next to it, staring expectantly at Hiccup. He made a slurping noise and licked his lip, and Hiccup couldn't help but laugh.

Marina was sitting on the other side of the fire, but had since moved towards her rider to nudge her in the direction of the charred food.

Hiccup walked over to his Dragon. "Thanks, bud." He set his hand on the Night Fury's nose.

Toothless purred and warbled his thanks before Hiccup walked to the fish. He picked one up as the blackened tail crumbled off. Eh, just saves the time he would've spent cutting it off later.

After they ate, they mounted up once again, and set off over the mountains. The towering, green trees of the tropical rainforest rose up from the depths of the forest.

Willow didn't stop to blow her conch horn. Instead, she kept on flying as the sound droned out over the trees. Bird-like things flew out of the leaves, sqwaking and blowing green... fire?

Hiccup was about to say something about them when a yellow blur shot up from the trees. As soon as it appeared, it disappeared, diving back into the tops of the trees.

They could barely see it as it zipped away. Willow smiled before telling Marina to put on a burst of speed. They flew after it, Hiccup and Toothless slightly behind.

Suddenly, it dove straight down, and they lost sight of it. Willow continued to follow, and Hiccup had no choice but to dive down through the branches after her.

Once he and his dragon had cleared the canopy of leaves, they could see much better. There was a floor of dark brown dirt far below them, with a brooke of teal water snaking through the tree trunks.