Phase Three: Beta

Start from the beginning

“You did good boys.” He had a scratchy voice, much like many of the men here did. It was from years of shouts and screams in street wars and the steady flow of smoke and alcohol which coated their throats.

“Arigato, Sensei Kane!” Yen said as he did a half bow to the lord. Kane smiled. The other two boys stood as straight as they could in his presence with slight shakes running through their bodies. The smack usually did that to them.

“Caleb, have you recruited that brother of yours yet. He is almost of age and we are in need of some men with his particular talents.”

Caleb stepped forward now and scratched at his head. The semi-permanent green dye was beginning to mix with the 3 days of oil from not showering making a relentless itch surge through his scalp.

“His birthday is in a few weeks. He will be 16 then. I am pretty sure he will be siding with the Z gang, sir.”

“Pretty sure?” One of the large thugs interjected now. Kane held up his hand. The man was ready to attack the boy now but everyone knew there was no need for violence… just yet.

“Down, boy.” Kane put his hand down and unbuttoned his suit jacket. He then slid his hand into his pocket and pulled out one of the forfeit credit cards Caleb had delivered hours before, “These are exquisite. No other gang around has been able to pull off a more convincing scam. He is talented and I wanted him. Not pretty sure I want him but fucking sure. Do you read me?”

“Of course, Lord Kane. He is as good as ours.”

The man smiled and reached into his pocket again. This time he pulled out 3 small bags of green powder. It was the smack, the new smack, which had taken control over most street gangs until E had hit the market.

“Here you kids go. Have at it.” He threw the bags down onto the table and turned. It was then one of the voices called back to them.

“Sir,” Rox, the third friend, shouted, “We are sort of coming off smack. Do you think we could… you know… actually get paid this time?”

A fire was lit inside of the eyes of the thugs this time. As they attempted to choke the boy, Kane stopped them once more. The boys backed up as both Caleb and Yen slapped their friend over his spiked, pointed head.

Kane got into Caleb’s face now and let out a grunt. Caleb was the ring leader of these lower level thugs which meant whatever they did out of line got his ass put on the chopping block.

“What does he mean by “off the smack”? Are you boys too good for my drugs now?”

Caleb shook his head as he tried to force a smile across his dry, scruffy face. Kane could smell his horrific breath and stepped back now.

“No! Not at all, sir. It is just that we um… well we…”

Kane began to pull a knife from his belt loop. While his thugs were more than happy to serve in the punishment of a junkie lying to their boss, Kane was going to take this pleasure for himself.

He grabbed Caleb’s hand and slapped it onto the table. He then placed the blade up to Caleb’s pinky finger and smiled brightly.

“If you lie to me I will cut it off. Who are you working for now?”

“Nobody!” Caleb shouted, “Please, sensei, it isn’t what you… AHHHH!”

His finger slid off the table as the blood spread out onto the old, splintered wood, some splattering onto the expensive purses which occupied the other side.

“I will ask you again. Who are you working for?”

Caleb continued to scream. Now his friend stepped forward and placed his hand over the knife.