Phase Two: Part Two

Phase Two: Part Two

Report: Can you feel it now?

_

Kade Roux sat with his knees to his chest in the corner of his room. He watched the system as it slept on the opposite side of him as the pain from his lower back continued to leave light stinging. It was a constant reminder that something had gone terribly wrong with the decision he had made.

The adults outside of his door now slept. It had only been a few hours now and the sun was just starting to peek up for the day. It was still dark outside but soon it would be daytime again. Kade walked over to the window he normally kept covered to keep the outside world from coming in. As the black curtains fell to the ground and exposed the cracked glass which kept them out, he couldn’t help but feel as if it was actually what was keeping him inside.

He pressed his hand against the cool glass. It was starting to get cool out now. Finally, unable to control the claustrophobic feelings now washing over him, the boy pushed the window open and allowed the cold air to flow in like a blanket of relief washing over him.

Normally, the world didn’t have a smell and when it did it was an awful one at that. Normally, the windows were left closed to keep the bad things from getting in. But Kade didn’t feel that way right now. Kade felt as if he was finally escaping.

Report: No more fear. That time is over.

Kade looked around at the city below him. There were still a few thugs walking around finishing off the nights work and some homeless people beginning to crawl from their boxes, holes and dens to begin their days of begging. Once the sun was finally out, many of them would disappear into the shadows as he found he’d been doing for so very long.

As he scanned the ground below, no one in particular had caught his eye. Not until he was several blocks down and a dark alleyway was sticking out among the many dark alleys. The reason for this was only because a rather suspicious figure was standing there gazing in Kade’s direction.

Kade poked his head out the window to see if it could have been anything else but as the realization set in he only came to find the dark figure was watching him. And as he focused on that figure, Kade found it was that of a familiar one.

Without thought, Kade ran through his room and kicked his door wide open. The man who’d spent the night was caught sneaking out, halfway through the door, when Kade pushed him aside and blew down the steps from the apartment. He could hear the man yelling to his mother behind him.

“You said you didn’t have any kids!”

Kade’s legs had been moving faster than he could ever remember them moving. As his muscles moved to cause his body to thrust forward with each stride, the feeling of running seemed even foreign to him. He was becoming a stranger in his own body even in just this short moment.

What is going on?

As he made it to the alley where the figure had been standing, Kade’s chest fell forward as he placed his hands at his knees and caught his breath. The distance wasn’t far but he’d moved so fast that his body now finally caught up.

As he looked up again, moving his dark brown hair from his bright eyes, Kade found nobody standing there. He was all along standing at the entrance of a dead end dark alleyway.

“Hello?” Kade shouted. It was silent. Not even the sounds of rats and roaches could be heard, “Is anybody there?”

He turned around in a circle to see if, in any direction, the girl from the train with the dark outfit could be seen but there was nothing. It was then that Kade felt into his pocket and noticed he’d not brought his S.C.A.N. card with him. As this realization came to him a squad car was now turning the corner.