Chapter 16: Fighting About Clothes

"Why do we have to change?" Jane ask while following me up the stairs.

"Because if we go into stores, I don't want to look like a freak," I say walking into her room and grabbing my green sleepover bag and heading for the bathroom.

"Excuse me! What is wrong with what I have on?"

I look at Jane; wearing the slave girl costume from Hannibal. The bodice consists of alternating red and green velvet panels, heavily decorated with gold and to top it off - a rope skirt.

"Like I said, I don't want to get weird looks from people."

"But-"

I close the door in Jane's face. I place my sleepover bag on the counter and open it up to get my clothes out. I change into a white tank top with a jean jacket over it and purple jeans to match. I get my other beauty supplies out and put some concealer on my pimples and brush my teeth.

I pack my items back into my green bag and head to Jane's bedroom (which is 5 steps away). I open the door to see Martha wearing a floral blue dress that comes to her ankles with black flats and Jane is still in her slave girl costume. Martha grabs her black purse and walks to me.

"I'm ready," Martha says walking out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

"I am too," Jane says walking to the door. I put my hand up to stop her from existing.

"May you please move your arm away so I can get through," Jane says crossing her arms.

"Not until you change," I say giving her the evil eye.

"No."

"Fine. I'll just leave you here while Martha and I search for Erik."

"You wouldn't dare!" Jane yells at me.

"Try me."

"Fine!" Jane yells to me.

"I'll meet you down stairs in my car," I say taking my arm down from the door.

I walk down the steps and signal Martha to follow me.

"Is she going to change?" Martha ask following me out the front door.

"Yep!" I say unlocking my car. I get in the driver seat and Martha gets shotgun.

"Jane is not going to be happy with that," I say laughing.

"I know, but I never sat shotgun before so I think today is the day to do that," Jane says looking like a superhero saving the day.

"Oh my goodness," Martha says shaking her head.

"What?" I look up to see Jane running to my car with her slave girl costume still on. She doesn't look happy when she sees Martha in the front seat but instead of arguing, she decides to sit in the back seat.

I look at her and she just smiles.

"Nice to see you got dressed," I say putting the car in reverse.

"I know right!" She says full of sarcasm.

I pull out of the driveway and ask, "What did you tell your parents?"

"I told them that there is a sale going on at Aeropostale and we want to be the first ones there so we can at least get what we want."

"Nice!" Martha smiles and gives Jane a high five.

"Jane is definitely rubbing her bad side on you," I say looking at Martha.

"Well, she is learning from the best," Jane shoots back.

"Ha. Ha. Ha. Funny," I say.

"I don't see what is funny?" I look in my rear view mirror to see Jane smiling at what she just said.

"Where should we look first?" Martha pulls out a map from the center console.

"Seriously." Jane rips the map out of Martha's hands and throws it out of the window.

"Hey!" Martha yells.

"Calm down. It's not the end of the world and who even uses maps anymore? We can use our phones," Jane says like she is some smart scientist.

"I actually use that map sometimes. I just wanted to say thanks for throwing it out the window while I am driving!" I yell.

"Hey! I know the perfect place he could be at!" Martha says.

"Where?" I say stopping at a red light.

"You know that music store about a mile from Jane's house. He could be there!"

"You are so right!" I say.

"What are we waiting for? Let's go and find Erik!"