ch. 25- The Technicolor Phase

Start from the beginning

“I knew it! Yes! You’re so much better for her than that other kid. You’ve never once made her cry, and I can stand you… Plus, she’s not supposed to kill you… Ah! This is great! I could kiss you!” He shouted. I was petrified, he was dancing. It looked weird… And when I say that something looks weird, it’s really weird. “Why didn’t you tell her?” He turned angry suddenly.

“Because you were there, and I couldn’t tell her that I loved her in front of a huge gang of vampires who might eat me and tear me into shreds, in that order. Not even I’m crazy enough to do that…” I rambled.

“You stupid boy. You should have just told her. We all like you way better than that other annoying, stuck up, little-“ I cut him off.

“You mean Joel? He’s my best friend. He’s really much nicer when you get to know him… Really, he’s not bad. He’s just had a bit of an off period. They kept fighting, and then getting back together, and then killing each other, and then getting back together and fighting and fighting and killing each other’s room mates and fighting and getting back together and breaking up and trying to get back together, but ending up in opposite sides of the circle. It hasn’t been easy for him either…“ I said softly.

“Well, you do whatever you think is right, son. I’ve got to go back to the castle… I don’t think Payton would be too happy to see me talking to one of his Hunters.” He said slyly. I grumbled at him, but allowed him to leave.

I walked to the front door and just as I was about to open it, Payton stepped out.

“Who was that?” He asked, even though I could tell he knew the answer. Some people were stupid like that…

“Benjamin, you know… your arch enemy.” I explained slowly, just to make sure he understood.

“And what, exactly, were you doing talking to him?” He asked.

“Um, talking?” I answered confusedly. Wasn’t that pretty clear?

“Why?” Oh, dear. Now my mouth was going to talk without my brains permission. It was so annoying when that happened.

“I’m in love with his best Hunter, and I went over there to tell her that, but then he was there and I didn’t dare tell her in front of him… And then he walked me home while we talked. And now I’m so scared of everybody that I think I’m going to run away.” I squeaked. Payton laughed. I looked at him. He looked at me. I was in simple mode. Simple mode was when my brain was on really low power and it said things in the easiest way possible.

“You love a vampire?” He said incredibly. I nodded. Then he sighed heavily and sat down. He motioned for me to sit as well, so I did. “Are you sure?”

“Yes. She’s all I can think about, and I enjoy her company and brain and she’s perfect in every way and I could go on talking about her for hours, but you’re screaming at me to stop. Do you hate me?” I said carefully, looking down at the last part.

“No. I don’t hate you. I can see that you’re in love, I just wish you weren’t in love with a vampire.” He sighed and started to get up. “It’s your life, just remember to chose sides wisely.” And with that he left me sitting on the stairs with my thoughts going crazy.

I didn’t want to choose a side. I wanted everyone to get along! Why did I have to choose where I wanted to belong? I didn’t belong anywhere! What was the point in staying? Why should I put up with all this turmoil and hate? I just wanted to run away and think!

I ran upstairs to pack. I started to make my way down the stairs after I had gathered everything I needed (a backpack for sweets and money to buy more sweets and possibly some more food, and a jacked with its pockets stuffed with a few clean clothes, the same went for the army pants with a thousand pockets all stuffed with clean clothes and sweets and a toothbrush).

“Xander, where are you going with all that stuff?” Davy the octopus asked me.

“To Never-Never-Land to never grow up and have to face tough problems.” I sulked. Davy ruffled my hair and reached into his pocket.

“I have something for you…” He said slowly as he pulled his hand out of his pocket. His hand was holding a big bag of chocolates. I grabbed it and started eating. I was in a bad and sulky mood. I wanted people to get along! “Hey, what’s wrong?” Davy asked.

“I hate everyone and everyone hates everyone else! You’re all so childish! Vampires are people too! God I feel like a giant flower ripped everyone’s heads off and ate them and then spat out a big lump of stupid! Can’t you just get along?!” I yelled, causing people to stare, I stuck my tongue out at them.

“Do you want to talk about it?” I shook my head and ate some more chocolate. “Well, whatever it is, it sounds like it won’t go away even if you do. Running away never helps…” I hated it when Davy was right.

“Well, blegh!” I said, unable to come up with anything better in my state.

“Xander!” I turned around at the sound of Eliza’s voice. She ran over to me and kissed me. “I think I love you…”