''What do you suppose we do then?'' Theo asked. His bounced on his heels, his coffee-colored eyes darting inside their sockets like pinballs. Oscar knew the kid was always hyper but ever since he got his powers, it seemed to have only given him more energy.

''Well, we're going to need a distraction— ''

Before he could finish, Andre moved past them. They all froze. The big guy paid them all no mind as he emerged from their cover and towards the building.

''What the hell are you doing?'' Chase hissed.

He turned around, grinning, and said, ''you needed a distraction.'' He then reached down and touched the pavement. The asphalt seemed to be crawling up his skin like a symbiote. Within seconds, cracked pieces of cement covered the exposed portions of his body, including his face.

He looked like a huge, rock monster straight out of a comic book.

Even though Oscar knew his power allowed him to take on the properties of solid substances, it was still a sight to behold.

Within seconds of stepping out into the open, the Kismet guards spotted him. It would've been hard no to; he was a six-foot-eight giant with stone encasing his skin. He continued forward valiantly, his expression as stony as his body.

Everyone else remained out of sight as they watched him. Oscar's eyes were as wide as dinner plates as he took in the sight.

''The cojones on this guy.''

''You there!'' a mercenary barked. The others in their area pointed their weapons at him. Multiple crimson lasers danced across Andre's chest. ''Stop right there!"

He didn't heed their warnings. In fact, he seemed to be picking up speed.

''What is he doing?" Stella whispered.

''I've got no clue,'' Oscar replied. ''But he looks like a freaking titan.''

The others watched on silently, a potent mixture of fear and anticipation on their faces.

''Last warning!''

Andre kept going.

Gunfire rang out in the cold air. Deafening cracks and pops echoed throughout the hills. Bursts of fire exploded from the barrels of the Kismet guard's guns. They all trained their weapons on the boy staggering towards them.

None of them even made a dent in his rocky skin.

The bullets crumpled and fell to the ground, the sound reminding Oscar of heavy rainfall.

''What the— ''

The mercenary was cut off by a huge shoulder being rammed into the chest. They were given a one-way ticket into the floor, courtesy of Air Andre.

Oscar turned to Chase. ''I thought you were the one with the unbreakable skin, Blondie.''

Chase scoffed. ''Yeah, so did I.''

''Shouldn't we be helping him?" Emily asked, readying her bow with an arrow. ''He won't be able to fight them all.''

Chase nodded. ''You're right.'' He faced the rest of the group. ''Keep your distance and find cover if you can. Call for help if you need it. Everyone got that?''

''Got it.''

''Good. Let's do this.''

They all simultaneously rushed into battle. Well, the others did. Oscar hung back a little. His heart felt like he'd just been injected with lethal levels of adrenaline. While he wanted to join his friends and help Andre fight off Kismet, something was holding him back.