I Will Try To Fix You

Three days. Three days since we took her out of quarantine. She's been healing greatly. No more panic attacks, or screaming, or any hallucinations of fire. She's been nothing but calm.
But she's still talking. Having conversions. Pleading with her person to heal her. To make her not crazy. I can't convince myself that it's that simple.
We took x rays. Cat scans too. There is a tumor. Not big but it could grow. However the procedure to take it out is very dangerous. So until her mother decides what to do, we wait.
But like I said before, I've never seen a case like hers. There's something we're missing, something we haven't discovered. But I guess for now, that will have to remain a mystery.

I've been getting better. Elise has kept her promise. I haven't seen her in three days. But I've been sleeping for three days. Doctors put me on a certain medication to make sure I don't have any more panic attacks if I'm to move to a hospital bed. It makes me drowsy all the time. I hardly ever get up.

We don't tell Callie about the tumor. The only way she can get better is if she believes she can. And right now she has nothing but hope. We can't give her any fear.

I don't know if I'm going to get rid of Elise. Maybe she'll agree to leave me alone, as long as I live.
My thoughts are interrupted by the door opening. At first I think it's my mother, but she came to visit this morning.
I'm too sleepy to open my eyes, but I can smell him.
He smells like rain. And sometimes chocolate. I haven't seen Jack since that day with the window.

The boy is good medicine. Every time she sees him she lights up.

He sits down and takes my hand. I wish I could wake up and show him I'm here.
"Um, I've only known you a couple days, but I was really touched. By what you said before you uhh. Before you passed out."
He's on the verge of tears. I wish I could wake up and comfort him.
"I never told you but I uhh play guitar. And I'm always at my best when I play. It's like I can escape into another world. And that's why I love it so much.
When my mother died five years ago, I was broken. But then after a while, I found this band. Called Coldplay. And I loved their music. It got me through all of my pain."
I hear him sniffle and I'm afraid I'm going to start crying.
"I want you to stay. Please. I'll be there for you, I'll protect you from anything. I'll give my life to you. If you will give me yours."
He doesn't say anything else. Put I hear him pick up his guitar.

The lyrics move me.

When you try your best, but you don't succeed.
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Suck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your goals
And I will try to fix you

I can hear how gentle his fingers and hands are. His delicate touch on the strings make a beautiful sound. His sniffles make it all too painful. But the way he sings those words.

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your goals
And I will try to fix you

I find the strength to open my eyes. It's a beautiful guitar. He sees me awake, puts down the guitar and comes straight to my side.
"Callie."

I smile. And he kisses me. Nothing big, put that's what makes it significant.
He holds my hands.
It's perfect again. Too perfect.

The air in the room changes. I look to the side and see Elise holding a gun to my head.

"Callie what's wrong?"
I want to tell him everything I'm thinking. So I do.
"I'm not scared anymore. I don't have any more panic attacks. I don't feel the fire anymore. And I don't shiver when I think of her. Like now."
"She's here?"
"Mmhmm.
Don't do this Elise."
"I have to", she tells me. Her siren dress is faded white and ripped. Her hair no longer soft but worn out as if she had been ripping it from her head. The gun shakes uncontrollably in her hand.
"I can't let you be with him."

"Is she threatening you?", Jack asks, worried.
"She is", I answer. Still completely calm. He holds my hands tighter.
"I'm not gonna let her take you."

This is it

I pull him in again and kiss him hard. I only hear the gunshot before everything goes black.

She pulls me in to kiss her and I do. I kiss her desperately. But she falls away from me. Her head falls back and I pull her close and hold on to her tightly. I keep screaming her name. Trying to wake her up. I look over at her vitals screen. It's a flat line and it screams one pitch. I scream for the doctors. They have to pry my away from her.