Smarter Than You Think

Everything I see is grey with fear. I never called back Jack. I didn't even listen to the message. I hardly even slept last night. I don't know what's happening. Elise never visited me before I went to sleep. Why is she so jealous of him. Does she think I'm going to abandon her. I wouldn't. I'm just so confused.

I have English before lunch. I quietly slip into the classroom before Jack sees me. He does, but right before he talks to me the bell rings and class starts.
We're studying The Awakening by Kate Chopin. I'm a master at this book.
Mr Green starts a conversation about Edna. He's going on another one of his typical lectures of what he thinks of the book. How it was a terrible experience for Edna and there was nothing good about her rebellion.
I can't help but look at Jack.
"Did you get my call?", he half whispers half mouths to me.
I sigh and look away. But he's determined. He taps me on the shoulder.
"Hey", he whispers.
"Stop" I tell him.

"Callie", Mr Green says. "If you think you know this book so well that you can talk during my class then you can explain how you think Edna's journey is a negative thing."
"Actually Mr. Green I will have to disagree with you on that. I think her journey is a positive one and very encouraging and enlightening. She had the bravery and courage to be herself in a society that didn't want her to be. She spoke from the heart and she knew who she was. And yes, she did die. But only because she knew that the world just wasn't ready for her. She was a powerful force that could not be reckoned with. And now she's in a place where she can be as free as she always wanted to be."

Mr Green stares at me in shock because that's not the answer he was expecting. The entire class erupts in applause from my accomplishment. I just laugh in surprise that I pulled something like that off.
"Silence", Mr Green yells but no one pays attention. They just keep clapping. The bell rings and everybody gets up to leave for lunch. I practically run to my locker. As I close it's door Jack stands beside me. There's no escaping him.
"Hey", he says when those blue eyes staring into my soul.
"Hi", I say. Louder than I intended.
"So I left you a message last night. Did you get it?"
"Um no I uhh got home late last night and wasn't able to check my phone. How did you get my number?"
"I asked your friend Mariana."
I look behind him and see Mariana at her locker. She's smiling and waving at me real excited. She gives me two thumbs up.
"Oh my god", I mutter under my breath.
"What was that?", Jack asks.
"Nothing", I tell him. "What did the message say?"
"Um. Well. I was wondering if you would like to go out with me."
This is exactly what Elise doesn't want. This is exactly what she wants me to avoid. How can she say that I don't know anything. I'm smarter than she thinks. I can't believe she's acting this way. But how could I betray her. She is after all my friend.
His blue eyes are worried from my silence. Oh Elise.
"Yes. I would love to go on a date with you."
"Oh my gosh that's great", he says in relief.
"I have to go but I'll text you details later today."
"That sounds great", I tell him.
As he walks away I smile big at Mariana.

I get home with that giddy feeling still inside my stomach. And that stupid smile still on my face. I walk into my room to start on my history paper, but Elise is blocking the doorway.