Chapter 1

One bed. One room. One house
State, country, earth, solar system, universe.
There could be millions of those. But for now there will just be one. Just one of her.

She first came through my window when I was very young. I was about five. Sitting on my little bed with all of my stuffed animals. I would always sleep with all of them because I didn't want any of them to be left out.
Her hair was in waves like the ocean. Brown and silky. I didn't scream because she, she wasn't a stranger. She didn't seem like a stranger.
"Hello", she says.
I stare. Awe at her beauty. Her smile is like roses.
"what's your name? " she asks.
"Callie", I say. "what's yours? "
"I can be anyone you want me to be. Give me any name you like. Even Ruffles."
I giggle. Ruffles is the name of one of my stuffed animal cats. My favorite cat. Does this girl know that?
"how about..." I say thinking. I'm good with coming up with names. But I felt like this one had to be special.
"Elise", I say. My mother plays this piano piece called fur Elise. This girl is as beautiful as that piece.
"Elise", she says back. "how wonderful.
I smile with my teeth and she laughs. Her laughter sounds like sunshine. I don't know how I come up with these similies but I just do. Odd.

"How about a story?" she says. She gets up and pulls a book from my bookshelf. It's blue and colorful. I can't see the title. I can't read.
"Sirens", she says.
"like the ones on the fire trucks?" I ask. I giggle. Those make me laugh so much.
"I guess we'll find out", she says and winks at me.
"There are people in the water. They are not mermaids but sirens. They take the people on the boats, and bring them to a better place. They are very beautiful."
"Callie", we hear. It's my mother. Elise looks worried.
"I have to go", she says. "I'll be back tomorrow."
And she's off. She practically flies through the window.
My mother comes through the door.
"Oh I see you've already chosen a book for tonight", she says.
I just sit quiet and she starts reading.
"There are people in the water. They are not mermaids but sirens."
I find a little piece inside of me, telling me to speak. It's a wonderful feeling. And so I finish reading for her.
"they take the people on boats and bring them to a better place. They are beautiful."
"Wow" mom says. "How do you know that sweetie?"
I smile. That amazing feeling is still inside my chest. Heating it up like a bonfire.
"I don't know", I say. "I just do."