Chapter 26: person of interest

Levi kept to himself at work, not leaving for lunch and not leaving his office unless he had to. He couldn't look Alcott in the eye, even after their talk. Normally he had kept his drinking under control, but there had been something new and raw about sitting next to Dylan and still being unable to talk to her. When she was behind a closed door, it had been hard but not impossible.

His holo-rib chimed and he glanced at it, wondering why Walsh was calling him in the middle of the day. Levi answered it with a note of worry that Alcott had talked to him.

"They're trying to arrest Dylan," Walsh said, making Levi's heart pump wildly in his chest. "Levi, they suspect her of killing Victoria and Charles. We both know that Dylan didn't do it. Can you come down to environmental? Please?"

"I'm on my way," Levi promised, grabbing his crutches.

Walsh disconnected the call and Levi rose from his seat, hurrying through the vegetables and fruit. Alcott frowned at him.

"What's the rush?"

"Someone's accused Dylan of the murders," he called as he exited the bay. He didn't have time to explain anything more.

The main section of environmental was filled with people, but Levi pushed through the crowd to get to Walsh's office. He could hear Walsh yelling, but couldn't make out the words until he opened the door.

Walsh glanced at him with relief.

"This is Levi, he'll tell you," he said. "Levi, this is apparently our new security team. They've been on the planet for less than twenty-eight hours."

The man stuck out his hand. "I'm Titus White," he said. "Former Vice President of the United States."

"Levi Hark," he responded, shaking the man's hand.

Much like Dashiell had been, the man was surprised by the gesture. He also glanced up and down at Levi's braces and crutches, as if sizing Levi up. Levi could only grit his teeth and wish he had chosen a different night to get drunk. His brain pounded against his skull, and he wanted to curl up in bed and sleep it off.

"Why Dylan?" Levi began.

"She has access and motive," Titus said. "Two people are dead, we ought to at least hold her for an evening. Ask her some questions."

"There are not many people on this base who are sorry that Charles and Victoria are dead," Levi replied. "I know I cannot count myself in that number. My partner's mother, my captain and friend, was shot down in cold blood. I had a dozen friends who died that day. If you want to start a witch-hunt, start with Lincoln and Julius. Why hasn't anyone done anything about the deaths we know they caused?"

"Because this base decided to move past that event," Titus said smoothly.

"Then we can move past this ejecting 'event' as well," Levi snarled. "But don't accuse my partner without some venting evidence. I have the same access and motive she does, you might as well arrest me too."

"But you don't," the man replied. "Your handicap..."

Walsh stepped between Levi and Titus, putting a hand on both of them.

"Stop it," he said. "This is a line of questioning everyone is going to regret. Titus, if you're going to arrest my daughter, then you have to arrest her partner as well. I think both are equally innocent and that you are making a mistake, but do not take Dylan alone. You will break her, and we will never get her back."

Levi also feared this, but hadn't been able to articulate it. He swallowed the lump in his throat and nodded. Titus seemed to agree, and Levi could breathe easier.

"Where are you taking them?" Walsh asked. "They're not guilt; you don't have a right to lock them up on so little evidence. This is the first instance of its kind."

"House arrest?" Titus suggested. "Or berth, whatever we call them now. We'll take Levi and Dylan to their berth and someone will be posted outside for the evening. At least until we can get any evidence that it was someone else."

"Fine," Levi said. "I accept those conditions, provided there is a statement exonerating us when you find we are not guilty. This base is too small for rumors not to spread."

"Agreed," Titus said, sticking out his hand to shake once more.

Levi shook it and the three of them exited Walsh's office. Dashiell and Libba were standing outside of Dylan's berth, but it didn't appear than anyone had gone in.

"We will be searching both your offices for firearms," Titus told Levi. "And your berth, of course."

"All I have at work are potatoes," Levi replied with a glare. "Actual potatoes. Search away. Now, please let Walsh get Dylan. Barging in there is going to scare her."

"Well, she's a suspect..."

"What happened to innocent until proven guilty?" Levi snapped. "I can see why they wanted to leave your kind in cryo."

The cold glare from Titus was unnerving, and for the first time Levi was truly frightened as to what this man would do. Dashiell and he had risen to power somehow and that had been against millions. A couple hundred people didn't stand a chance.

"Titus, it's all right," Dashiell said, breaking the standoff. "I trust Walsh. Go ahead, sir."

Walsh opened the office, shutting the door behind him. Levi focused on a centimeter spot on the door, breathing slowly in and out. He wished he had been the one to kill Victoria, he thought. Then at least being treated like a criminal would make sense.

Walsh reemerged with Dylan, who didn't look up at anyone. Levi bit the inside of his cheek to keep from saying anything he regretted.

"What's the plan?" Dashiell inquired.

"We placing them under house arrest," Titus said. "We'll need someone to stand guard though."

"It would be much simpler to temporarily install a camera," Libba suggested. "Talk to research. They should have one we can borrow and sync up to Dashiell's holo-rib. That way we're not wasting someone's time standing in a hallway."

Levi wished he could offer his hand to Dylan, but instead needed both to navigate his crutches. They walked in silence all the way back to their berth, having to lead the way when Titus or Dashiell didn't know where they lived. Levi punched the code for their berth and stepped inside, furious with himself for this morning's failures. Dylan shuffled in behind him and he fell into the couch, listening to the men talk about them outside.

"Please sit," he told Dylan. "I'm sorry this happened."

"I didn't kill them," she whispered.

Levi stood again, this time without his crutches. He hobbled over to Dylan who stood by the door, quaking.

"I know you didn't, ma belle," he said tenderly.

He tentatively held out his arms and Dylan let him embrace her, returning the hug with a fierce grip. Levi would put up with house arrest for a cycle if it meant that Dylan and he had time to talk about things.

She helped him sit back down on the couch and sat beside him.

"Have you eaten?" he asked. "I skipped lunch today. Thank the seasons that I work in botany, we could be holed up for weeks in here and still get fat."

Dylan managed a smile before resting her head against his chest. Levi wrapped his arms around her, content to make this much progress today. They could make dinner later, he thought. He wasn't sure if she had taken all of her clothes to Walsh's, but with how much weight she had lost, she was nearly his size now, only taller.

"I'm sorry," she said, so quietly that Levi thought he imagined it.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Dylan," he replied.
____
Mixed emotions for our dear couple. Maybe house arrest will be good for them? Thanks for reading!