Chapter 25: unseen ramifications

Lully was grateful they had finished the print queues for now. Nothing major had been damaged yet, but still he went into work when Vertov had messaged him about Charles. Lully couldn't believe it. He did not like the man, but not enough to want him to die.

Vertov seemed shaken, and Lully wished there was something he could say to console his boss.

"I think I'm going to promote Emerson to floor manager," Vertov said. "We have others who are older, but he's been basically doing it anyway for the past cycle."

"That's probably a good choice then," Lully replied. "Is there anything I can do?"

Vertov shook his head and then placed it in his hands. "Seasons," he murmured. "I can't help but wonder who did it, you know? Did they know Charles had weapons? Did anyone know?"

"I didn't even tell Esperanza," Lully admitted. "I didn't want her to worry." He paused. "Should we tell Dashiell? Who's looking into this?"

"Titus," Vertov responded.

Lully didn't know that name. By the way Vertov said it, he didn't imagine he'd like the person who had it.

"He's another politician, he's supposed to help with creating some laws and punishments for criminals on the base," Vertov explained, rising from his chair. "Come on. I'll bet they are at Charles's berth, and we should tell them before someone thinks we let Charles print more guns."

Lully followed him out of the office, wondering at all the changes that had happened since the Canary had landed. He and Dylan had been so hopeful for the future and they had both done so much to bring the base together. The people here seemed determined to keep fracturing.

No wonder Dylan was distraught. Her partner had permanent nerve damage; her madre had been murdered. The people she had risked everything to save had tried to kill her. Esperanza was Lully's grounding point in the world. He couldn't imagine the heartache of anything happening to her.

There was a small crowd of people outside of Charles's berth. Vertov slowed when Dashiell approached.

"Sorry, we're trying to keep the rooms closed off," he said. "We're hoping to find evidence."

"Have you found the handguns?" Vertov inquired.

If Dashiell was surprised by the question, he didn't show it.

"Explain," he said.

"We had a talk with Charles after Victoria's death; there were more guns than what he melted down," Vertov explained. "I told him to take care of it. I don't know anything for certain, but I would wager that he had at least one in his berth. If he actually was planning to take care of the extra guns on the base, then there should have been two or three."

"So whoever killed him, wouldn't have had to build a weapon," Dashiell questioned.

"Non," Vertov replied. "If they could get in, the murder weapon was most likely in the berth already."

Dashiell processed this with a frown forming on his face. He glanced at Lully and Vertov and then called for Titus. A short man in a buttoned shirt came out of Charles's berth and they conferred for several minutes. Vertov seemed more concerned after telling Dashiell; Lully didn't blame him. Nothing Dashiell had said made it sound like they had already found the weapons, which mean the killer had taken them.

"It's likely Victoria also had a gun?" Titus asked.

Lully and Vertov nodded.

"That widens the pool of people who could be suspects," Titus mused. "We're just looking for someone who had access to this berth without using codes. They wouldn't have had to print or steal a weapon. They had one sitting here, waiting for them. What kind of person doesn't have a plan walking into a berth? Were they going to bludgeon them to death if there was no gun?"

"Or the gun was the sentencing," Lully offered. "If there was a gun, then it shows that Victoria and Charles were ready to kill again. They lied to us."

This was met with worried nods and Dashiell and Titus went back into the berth. Vertov sighed.

"Go home, Lully," he said. "There's nothing more you can do here. I'll call Emerson in and let him know of his promotion. And responsibilities. Thank the seasons that the storm hasn't been too rough yet."

"Shh, it'll hear you," Lully remarked. "Message me if you need anything, Vertov."

Vertov clapped him on the shoulder. "I know we haven't always seen eye to eye," he told him. "And sometimes I want to drown you in your lake. But you're a good man, Lully. I'm glad you're a printer."

"Then maybe you'll let me print things again," Lully joked. "Merci, sir."

Vertov rolled his eyes as Lully walked away. It was too early for lunch, and Esperanza was still at work, so he decided to surprise her. He rarely left early.

He made his way to medical and then stood in the door with a grin on his face, watching Esperanza discuss files with Blair and then walk right past him to the next room. Blair noted Lully with a nod. The man did not look well, and Lully wondered why he was at work instead of at home. Perhaps he needed work to take his mind off the murder of his partner. He wondered if the man knew Charles was dead, but did not want to be the one to say anything.

"I'm so sorry," Lully remarked. "Is there anything Esperanza or I can do?"

Blair swallowed and then shook his head.

"We can always watch Georgie for an evening if you need," Lully offered.

Blair snorted. "You say that now. My son is a handful. Anita keeps threatening to send him back to space. But thank you. I might take you up on that."

"Lully!"

Esperanza came back in, this time noticing Lully in the doorway. She threw her arms around him like she hadn't seen him an hour ago.

"Why are you here?" she asked. Then her eyes narrowed. "How long have you been standing there?"

"As Blair as my witness, you walked right past me," Lully teased. "Didn't even see me. I had no idea that nurses were so focused. I can tell we have a quality team in here."

"Oh shush, you know I wouldn't expect you to be in medical," she scolded. "What are you doing here?"

"My meeting with Vertov is over and I came by to say hello," he said. "And I can swing by botany or husbandry and pick up something different for lunch?"

"Lully Brandt, are you actually going to cook?" Esperanza mock gasped.

Blair let out a laugh at Lully's hurt expression. Esperanza twirled out his grasp, laughing.

"Petal, I can cook," he protested.

"I'll believe it when I see it. Blair, do you think there's a fire extinguisher I can borrow for lunch?"

"Probably," Blair said.

"Come have lunch with us," Lully invited. "I'm think cucumbers and rice. I don't think they go together, so I'll have to be creative."

"It may not be safe to be invited to lunch," Esperanza sighed. "Lully, couldn't you try to be a little normal? You're going to scare my coworkers."

"I'm perfectly normal," he laughed.

____
Lully as the responsible one is a little unnerving. Thanks for reading!