{She's Always A Woman} - Donatello

The words tumbled out of his mouth, voice resounding around the lab as he continued his karaoke to the song the radio. Hurried, rushed, as if he was suspecting someone to jump out at him and laugh, as if he should be ashamed of the amazing skill that exuded from his lips, the lyrics he sang along to as warm and comforting as a lover's embrace. I looked on in awe, hiding in the area just beyond where his eyes could see, letting Donatello's voice wash over me like an ocean wave crashing onto me with its perfect crescendoes and diminuendos...

I crumpled up the piece of paper, refusing to torture myself any further with the literature I'd written months ago about him. Even now, I could vividly see my genius when he realized he was being watched, whirling around with a red face and a mouthful of questions, asking when I'd walked in, how long I'd been listening...

I used to fantasize about hearing him sing again.

Now, I simply couldn't write another word about Donnie, dream about his voice, or him, for that matter. He had told me I wasn't important. I recalled so many times where he hinted at his confusion with my mood changes, my erratic spewing of emotions as I worked on a piece. I thought Donnie would've been able to accept that.

I was wrong.

And so, I was angry at him. No room for any daydreaming. It simply was not an option.

"Hey."

I spun to see Donnie, instantly giving him my ever-present glare. He backed away slightly, holding his hands up in a 'don't shoot' gesture.

"What're you doing here?" I asked, standing up out of the desk chair and shoving my fanfic under the mounds of research on the lab table.

"...well, it is my lab..."

"Fine. I'll just be leaving then." I moved to storm out, when Donnie's hand on my shoulder stopped me.

"No! I-I mean... you were here first, I s-suppose..."

"Then what're you waiting for? Leave," I snapped, pushing him backwards toward the lab doors, unwilling to start a conversation.

"W-wait Y/N, please," He started unsteadily, even as I shoved him back further, "Y-you umm... you like Billy Joel, right?"

"What? I mean, yeah, he's alright... Why does it matter?"

Understatement of the century. I loved Billy Joel with all my heart and soul. Not the point, though.

"I-it doesn't!" D replied - too quickly, "W-what I really wanted to say is... I'm sorry."

"How many times do I have to tell you? No matter how much you apologize, it won't be enough. You dissed me, you basically told me I wasn't good enough for your far superior intellect."

"Please, let me make it up to you," He pleaded, as I pushed him out into the living room, "You're the most amazing girl - no, scratch that - the most amazing woman I've ever met, and I was a fool to treat you that way--"

"You should've thought about that before you ripped my heart out," I spat, refusing to cry in front of Donnie as I started closing the door.

"I should've never done that to you. I know, forgiveness is the last thing on your mind, but I love you - every single bit of you. Your mind, your creativity, your face, your emotions, everything, Y /N."

My breaths snagged on the lump in my throat as I croaked out, "Just don't..." Before managing to finally close the door.

"Y/N!" I heard his muffled exclamation, "...hang on..."

A pause. And then, someone clearing their throat.

"She can kill with a smile
She can wound with her eyes
She can ruin your faith with her casual lies
And she only reveals what she wants you to see
She hides like a child
But she's always a woman to me."

My heart did backflips, when I instantly recognized the tune - my favorite song - as well as my favorite voice. I cracked open the door, peeping through to look at Donnie, who didn't quit singing.

"She can lead you to love
She can take you or leave you
She can ask for the truth
But she'll never believe
And she'll take what you give her as long as it's free
Yeah, she steals like a thief
But she's always a woman to me..."

I opened the door wider, stepping out to face Donatello, whose eyes instantly flicked to the tears running down my face, whether in happiness or sadness, I wasn't sure. Before I could react, he'd snatched up my hand, continuing to softly sing in that crazily perfect voice of his,

"Oh, she takes care of herself
She can wait if she wants
She's ahead of her time
Oh, and she never gives out
And she never gives in
She just changes her mind..."

Here, Donnie stopped, murmuring, "I admire every single thing about you. Your smile," He raised a hand to brush his fingers over my lips, "Your crazy enthusiasm," He tucked my h/c hair behind my ear, "Your passion," He cupped my cheek in his hand, "And I know a no-good scum-bag like me shouldn't even be in the presence of such an unpredictable and beautiful perfection as yourself."

I sniffled a little, unable to resist the urge and kissing him, reveling in the wave of amazing feelings that crashed over me, perhaps even better than when I heard him sing. Donnie pulled away to lean his forehead against mine with a playful smile, as he finished his song.

"She will promise you more
Than the Garden of Eden
Then she'll carelessly cut you
And laugh while you're bleedin'
But she'll bring out the best
And the worst you can be
Blame it all on yourself
Cause she's always a woman to me."

Song: Always A Woman To Me, by Billy Joel