Freakle;

Farkle Minkus

When Riley asked me to hang out with her I couldn't get any words out of my mouth. I just smiled and nodded. She did a little jump that I found super cute.

"Great, I can't wait... Um could I maybe possibly have your number? Just to, you know... Get a hold of you." She asked while leaning back and forth on her heels.

I felt light headed as If I was going to faint. My long time crush was asking ME for my number.

"Yeah um here." I quickly pulled out a piece of paper and wrote my phone number on it and passed it to her.

"I'll call you." Her face changed a bit more serious. I nodded and she did a half spin and walked away. Her heels clicked against the ground and when she spun a strawberry scent radiated to me.

I was admiring her when I was pushed against the metal lockers. I looked down a little to see Maya with an anger look on her face.

"Listen up freakle, what are you doing with Riley? If your thinking about putting any nerd moves on her, think again." Our faces were inches apart. I could basically feel her breath on me.

"Why does it matter to you? You cut her out of your life." I squinted at her and she groaned loudly and let go of my arms and backed up.

"Everyone keeps saying that! Yeah I cut her out but it doesn't mean I don't care for her anymore... I just want her to be popular on her own and you aren't helping her case." Maya harshly said. Maya had a point, all Riley wants is to be popular again but I'm not helping with that. Maybe I shouldn't hangout with her tonight.

When I got home I played video games impatiently waiting for the phone call from Riley. It was 7:30pm and there was a knock at my door.

"Come in!" I yelled and my dad came in my room and sat down on my bed beside me.

"Farkle... I've been applying for some jobs that offer more for our family. I was recently called back and got accepted at a really good job." He said nervously folding his hands. I'm all good with my father getting a new job as long as it doesn't screw up my life. "But in order for me to start working there we need to move houses."

I felt myself become angry. I haven't been this mad in a long time. I have lived in this house my whole life and now I'm supposed to get up and leave? I took a deep breath and bit my lip.

"You might be angry and I get it... But if you know what's best for us you will be okay with what we may have to do." He said and I stood up.

I grabbed my Polaroid sweatshirt and put it on quickly. I grabbed my wallet and phone.

I just left my dad by himself, I walked out of the house and got into my car.
My phone began ringing and I thought it was my parents but it really was Riley.

"Hello?" I asked

"Hi, you can come over now... I mean if you still want to come." Riley said nervously over the phone.

"Yeah, I'll be over soon." I said and we hung up.

All I could think about on the drive there was that I was going to be leaving my childhood house. My brain was all foggy and I wish I could think clearly.

I parked my car and started to climb up the fire escape. I don't want to go home, I don't want to face my parents again. I went through the window and sat on the cushiony seat.

I heard the bathroom door knob rattle and then the door swung open. Riley walked out in blue skinny jeans and a white bra. She screamed loudly and she picked up a pillow and covered her chest area. My cheeks were flushed.

"I thought you were coming in through the front door... That's my fault." She said, Her face was also a little red.

"Oh god I'm so sorry." I looked down at the ground avoiding to look at her. I could hear her quietly chuckle.

"No I- um it's completely my fault I didn't tell you and I should've I'm a bad host I'm sorry- I should probably put a shirt on." Riley spoke quickly and rambled. I laughed at her sudden topic switch. She walked over to her closet and grabbed a sweatshirt and quickly pulled it over her head.

I looked up at her and she sat beside me. It was quiet for a moment but I liked it.

"How about a movie?" She excitedly asked. I nodded and she stood up again and grabbed her laptop and turned it on. "My parents aren't home because they went out for drinks with some friends."

"What should we watch?" Riley said while taking her laptop over to the bed and setting it down.

"It really is up to you." I stood up and walked over to her. She was looking at the computer.

She turned around to face me and basically had no space between us. She chuckled and I stepped back.

"Listen Farkle we need to talk."

---