Change;

Farkle Minkus

I haven't seen Riley at school for about three days. I don't understand her she is like a great mystery book that intrigues me. See you can tell I'm a geek when I compare a beautiful amazing girl to a book.

It was Friday and I heard the school door swing open and everyone went quiet. Whispers spread throughout the hall and that's when I looked up to see Riley.

She looked completely new. Her hair was died to a lighter brown. She was wearing a pink dress that was fairly short and heels. Her makeup was done really well done like a model.

I didn't want to believe she changed herself. I loved her the way she was. She was every persons idea of love.

She walked through the hall without saying hello to anybody and it made me sad that one of her most admirable traits was gone.

I wonder what clicked in her head to change. I admired her from a distance, she was beautiful. It's hard for me to think I will never be in a relationship with this goddess.

Time went by quickly and as soon as I know it I'm waiting for Riley in the library. It always seems that she's late. I've been waiting for ten minutes when she runs through the door and plops herself in the chair.

"Hi." I said and she sighed. I don't know if she sighed because of me or whatever else.

"Today was hard." She said and smiled at me. There it was, my favourite smile.

"W-why is that?" I bit my lip and she smiled lovingly. "Because you haven't been yourself all day?"

"Farkle what?" She said and I took a deep breath.

"I can tell." I said and she looked down then back at me.

"Bay window right now!" She said and grabbed my hand and I quickly put my books in my bag. I don't know what the 'bay window' is.

She pushed me into her car and drove. It was silent but a comfortable silence.
She began climbing a fire escape so I followed. She opened a window and climbed through. So did I.

"My room." She smiled and sat on the furthest side that we came in through.
"This is the bay window and if you ever need to think or talk about anything feel free to climb through."

"Won't your dad kill me?" I asked while looking at her beautiful face. She laughed.

"Not you, he loves you Farkle." She smiled and I couldn't believe my ears.

"What happened to you?" I asked while eyeing her up and down. Her expression changed to upset and defensive.

"Nothing." She shut the question down quickly. I shook my head because I knew she lied.

"Tell me... I'm giving you a chance to open up to me, just tell me." I almost begged and she sighed. I just want her to let it out.

"Somebody finally told me the truth." She looked down and closed her eyes.

"What truth, That you're a beautiful, smart, funny, kind soul?" I said and she looked back at me. I can't believe what I had just said. How does this happen.

"Farkle, I'm not popular so people don't like me anymore! I'm alone I have no friends, my personality is 'dead', I'm not dating worthy, and I'm not a dream girl." Riley stood up and ranted. I couldn't believe somebody said all of this to her. I shook my head in annoyance.

"Who told you this." I asked and she turned to face me. I could see tears brimming. I didn't want to see her cry.

"Pete Homes" she said and let her hand fall against her thigh. I chuckled and she gave me a confused look.

"You're going to change yourself for Pete?" I smirked and she furrowed her eyebrows.

"I'm changing myself to be popular, to be the buzz around school." Riley looked off into oblivion and smiled a dreamy smile. I stood up and took my shaky hands and placed them on her shoulders.

"You don't need to change yourself for anyone, you're perfect the way you are. Riley you are so sweet and caring you really don't need to change to be liked." I said and she looked down then back at me.

"I know you're right." She admitted and I moved my hands from her shoulders. She hugged me and it was all warmth. Only if she was my friend on days besides Friday.

"Don't change, Riley." I said quietly and she pulled away from the hug. She ran a hand through her wavy hair.

"Thank you, Farkle." She said. I would do anything for you Riley.

---