three

I stroll into Mr. Listream's room, taking my seat next to Madeline. "Well, good morning to you too."

"Good morning, Evan." Madeline raises her eyebrows.

"Good morning, class." Mr. Licstream shuts the door. "It's the fourth day of school, how are you guys feeling? Madeline?"

"Bored." She grins.

Mr. Licstream's smile grows, not hearing the comment Madeline made under her breathe. He never hears anything unless it's stuffed with sunshine and happiness. "That's good! We're gonna do something fun today!"

The class erupts into murmurs, projects and essay rumors are being thrown around the room. People start choosing partners and people start wondering who has the best grades. Madeline and I sit back and watch them, laughing quietly to ourselves. I guess it is true, people rub off on you once you spend plenty of time with them. Everyday with Madeline, English and Algebra II and Lunch, they sure make a difference. It's funny, Carmen asks me if I wanna sit with her in those two classes as well. Nothing beats Madeline's commentary from under her breath. Nothing beats her laughing at the stupid things Noah does in English or Mr. Sapphire in Algebra II. Nothing beats being her best friend. I look over at Carmen, who's looking at the two of us. I wave politely. She returns the wave and turns back to the front.

"Class! Class, calm down," Mr. Licstream calls out, "we'll be writing a poem today."

Sighs of relief are heard, but so are groans of frustration. "I'm gonna write a poem about cannibalism." Madeline whispers, grinning.

"Madeline, no." I glance at her, slightly scared.

"Madeline, yes." She smiles, pulling out her notebook and opening to the first empty page.

"Now, begin!" Mr. Licstream smiles, going behind his desk and typing away on his desktop.

"What are you gonna write about?" Madeline asks without looking up from her poem.

"Maybe a person." I shrug.

Madeline smiles. "You should write something for Carmen."

"I don't like her. Well, not like that. She's sweet and all, conventionally attractive too, but I don't know. It's just different." I frown. I thought she was all that a few days ago, but she's just another friend. Nothing more. Funny how small feelings change so quickly. 

"She likes you."

"Doubtful."

"Okay, whatever you say." Madeline looks up from her notebook for the first time, rolling her eyes. "Finished my poem. I'm gonna go show it to Licstream."

"I hope you get credit." I laugh, going back to my empty page. I look up at Madeline and Mr. Licstream as she watches him read her poem. Her grey shirt flutters free from her high waisted denim shorts as she wiggles around, impatiently. His face slowly goes from happy to scared. He looks up at Madeline and she quickly says something, tucking a loose ponytail hair behind her ear. He smiles, nodding and signing her page. As she slides back into her seat, I stare at her shocked. "You wrote a poem about cannibalism, and you got him to smile?"

"I know, I'm amazing." She smiles. "You should read it, maybe you'll get inspired."

"Let's hope." I sigh, taking her notebook and reading the poem. "Blood, fresh on my lip."

Opening someone up for a subtle sip.

You can never tell what lies within,

A body full of organs or perhaps one of sin.

I can't begin to explain,