Chapter 8

The final part of the plan. Escape. That was easier said than done when you have twenty bloodthirsty brutes carrying you to the biggest and baddest of the lot. Malthyal was terrified but part of him thought they might actually escape alive since the rest of the plan went off swimmingly. Well not great for the thieves but that's besides the point.

After a good ten minutes of being dragged, stepped on and otherwise treated horribly, Malthyal was lead into a room that wasn't too large but it was big enough to house a throne type structure with the Red Devil himself, still in his freakish blood red armor looking down on him.

"So this is who N was so scared of, a little boy?" he said this in a deep voice that matched his apparel quite well. Malthyal managed to look at Trevor and he could tell he was thinking the same thing he was. Who was N?

The fearsome giant rose from his seat and lumbered over to Malthyal to look into his face. Malthyal could see the black eyes within the viser.

"Hmm doesn't look like much at all does he boys?" all the guards laughed. Except one. The one that nobody until now noticed they never saw before. Trevor.

The warden noticed and walked over his chainmail clinking with every step.

"You got a stick up your ass son?" he said quietly. Trevor didn't respond. "Answer me" the Warden got a little louder "when I" louder still "talk to you!" he screamed that last part.

"No sir" Trevor said in a calm voice to keep his cover.

"That's good" he then proceeded to push Trevor over and onto the ground then drag him over to where Malthyal was then knocked Malthyal over as well.

"You think me blind and deaf don't you. Damn thieves never learn. Happy to say this isn't my first time killing one."

That sparked rage in Malthyal. "You killed my father!"

"Oh no not him. The good lord knows I tried,many times in fact. Loosening bricks,sending assassins,who are impossible to work with by the way,Hell I even tried poisoning his wine. However he was always one step ahead. I envy the one who finally did it very much."

Malthyal thought this brute knows who killed my father and i'm going to find out who. Trevor knew what Malthyal was thinking and he gave a slight shake of his head before the Warden continued talking.

"In any case you are here now and that my young thief is what matters because I will kill you and please N very much. So much in fact that I might be known as more than just 'that brute that kills people' oh yes i'll be known as 'that brute that killed the NightWalker's only son' I can hear it now" he sighed. "Anyway, let's get to it shall we?" he said as he started it lift his battle axe to end the lives of to him were only insignificant specks in the "perfect world" he had always imagined ever since he was a child.

That was when Larry struck. You see Larry knew this distraction would lead all of the guards from their posts and Malthyal's curiosity would keep the warden talking long enough to give him the time to release all of the prisoners from the small prison cells. It was anarchy. Prisoners attacked from all sides and the confused guards didn't have time for a counterattack so within seconds they were all either knocked out from the big prisoners or tied up by the smaller ones. The warden didn't know what to think.

"Red Devil!" Larry yelled with confidence. "We are tired of your abuse! The day of your downfall has come!"

With that at once the inmates charged either with fists or scavenged weapons from the fallen guards. It was a valiant effort, it even seemed at one point the warden might fall, but alas the charge was fruitless as the inmates fell one by one to the sharp blade at the end of the mighty axe. By the end it was only Larry and the warden. Just staring at each other.

"Oh Larry" the warden said like he was greeting an old friend "when will you learn. You dont fight the Devil and expect to leave uscathed." with that the warden threw his axe.

It span, it seemed to all watching, in slow motion through the air. Right before it hit home, in between Larry's eyes, out of the darkness came a movement and Charlie jumped in front and got impaled in the chest. Axe and man both hit the floor with a thud.

Larry ran over and said "you fool! Why?"

Charlie laughed. "You would have done the same for me" he coughed up blood "I guarantee it" then he was still.

Rage burned in Larry's chest.

"Well that happened" the Devil laughed his deep bellowing laugh. "No matter, he needed to die as well." he then walked over to retrieve his weapon thinking Larry wouldn't dare do anything. He couldn't have been more wrong.

As soon as the warden was in range Larry lunged faster than an angry snake and up into the warden's armpit,the only part not covered in armor, he placed the point of dagger with a glistening green substance on it. Poison.

"Don't fight the Devil and expect to leave unscathed" he whispered in the defenseless warden's ear. "Bastard" he then pushed the dagger into the warden's armpit. The poison took immediate effect and with a clang the heavily guarded warrior fell.

It was at that moment that the highly feared Devil of the North was no more.