Chapter 6

3 days

    That's how long, according to the guard, Malthyal and Trevor had before they would be hanged for thievery. There was no way out. Doors were watched at all times and the only time windows were open was when some poor prisoner's lifeless corpse was thrown out to be collected by the night watch.

Luckily for him Malthyal had not yet witnessed this but he had heard stories from the other inmates. Too disturbing for him to go into detail.

“Hey” Malthyal whispered to Trevor whom he shared a cell with “we have to get out of here!”

“Obviously! What do you think I am? A dimwit?” Trevor snapped back.

Malthyal shrunk back. Scared of this side of Trevor he had never seen before. “Of course not, I just want to get out of here” he said with fear in his voice.

Realizing what he had done Trevor calmed down before saying “Look kid. We were captured only hours ago and by my calculations it's only around two in the morning. So, that means the guild doesn't know anything is amiss. If we aren't back by daybreak they will search for us and, possibly, come here to break us out.”

He said “possibly” like it wasn’t at all possible they would get out alive but Malthyal just said “ok Trevor if you say so.”

Just then a loud bang emerged from the end of the hallway followed by armored footsteps. A big man covered in a full set of knight armour even more red then the most extravagant fire walked past their cell. The man looked in their direction for only a brief moment but Malthyal would never forget the blank, cold stare he received before the monstrous form kept walking.

“Oh no” Trevor said under his breath “He's here? Now.” Trevor started slapping himself in the face “you are so stupid!” he yelled before sitting down hard on the cold floor.

“What? Who's here?” Malthyal asked scared for his friend.

“He's the warden. Better known as the Red Devil or The Devil of the North. Once he has you there is no escaping him. And I brought us here.” He hit himself again.

“It's not your fau-” Malthyal was interrupted.

“Yes it is! I'm the one that pushed the circle to let you go on this job! I'm sorry Malthyal but I have led us both to our doom!” He said that last part before putting his head in his hands.

“What about that rescue you mentioned?”

“No way for them to help now. The Red Devil is here. Even if they could get into the prison there is no way for anyone to get past that beast.” Trevor said losing more and more hope with every word. “Nothing for us to do either just sit here and be quiet for a while.”

Malthyal decided he shouldn’t argue so he sat next to Trevor and waited for whatever was going to happen next.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The next day the two thieves were awoken by multiple banging sounds.

    “Get up you lazy bastards!” the guard at the cell door yelled. “Get to the yard!”

    When they were slow to react the guard yelled again, louder this time “GO GO GO! HURRY! NOW!”

    Trevor and Malthyal fell into the throng of prisoners being herded into the yard by the guards.

    Two huge twin doors that were very secured were unlocked and opened to reveal a fenced in outside pavilion. It was here that Malthyal overheard some inmates talking once everyone was outside.

“A prison break?” one asked “Larry are you blind or just insane? Because the last I checked the warden himself was here!”

“Charlie calm down” Larry said calmly “You trust me right?”

“No.”

“Then it's settled!” Larry continued obviously not paying attention “we will put my idea, which i have been planning for months mind you, to work!”

    “You heard that right?” Malthyal asked Trevor “A prison break!”

    “No.” Trevor said anxiously looking around “we can’t have anything to do with it. Not while the warden is around!”

    “Either that or be hanged!” Malthyal said walking over to the two men.

    “Gentlemen!” he said to Charlie and Larry acting as grown up as he could “I overheard you talking about a prison bre-”

    Larry tackled Malthyal to the ground and covered his mouth, luckily this happened a lot so the guards didn’t mind, then whispered into Malthyal’s ear “do you want to get us all killed kid?”He asked with anger in his eyes.

    “MMMMMMM” which was all Malthyal could say while he was shaking his head back and forth.

    “Then keep quiet!” Larry said removing his hand and letting Malthyal up.

“Thank you” Malthyal said wiping the dust off of himself “Now about the prison break” he had learned his lesson and whispered that last part.

“Well” Larry said looking Malthyal up and down “you have a big mouth which could help my plan. But first who's that hooded fella looking like he wants to kill me?” he said referring to Trevor. (Larry knew this look because he saw it everyday in the eyes of his fellow inmates.)

“That’s Trevor. He didn’t want me talking to you.”

Charlie who was previously just spectating this entire thing started laughing.

“Well then a smart lad that” he said then continued laughing.

“Shut it Charlie!” Larry snapped.

Charlie shut it rather abruptly.

“Anyway” Larry continued glaring at Charlie “He won't snitch right?”

“No” Malthyal replied “he'll come around and help us I'm sure.”

“Excellent!” said the sleazy man and after Malthyal convinced Trevor to listen Larry said “Here's the plan.”