Part 1: The past

Chapter 1

        "Where are you going father?" asked a wide eyed little Malthyal.
         "I have business to attend to and I won't be back until morning" replied his father Jonas. "I wish I could stay but Lucia and Johnathan are coming over to watch you."
         "Yay!" Malthyal exclaimed with pleasure.
        Lucia and Johnathan were the people that always came to watch Malthyal every time his father went out which was often but Malthyal loved them so much he didn't mind.
       His father laughed. "Yes well don't cause them any trouble alright?"
        "Yes father" came the reply.
        "Knock knock" that was Lucia standing in the doorway.
        "Come in" says Jonas.
        And to Malthyal's delight they did, his two best freinds in the world, Lucia and Johnathan.
         "How's it going?" asked Johnathan.
         "Great!" Came the happy reply.
         "Okay well I should get going" said Jonas. "The people I'm meeting don't like to be kept waiting."
          Malthyal ran up to his father and have him a big hug. "I love you."
          "I love you too little one, be good." His father replied with an even bigger hug.
           And with one final wave Jonas left the house.

           "Why does my father leave every evening?" Malthyal asked Lucia tlater that night.
           "He is a busy man that deals with a lot of business there is no telling what business exactly but it is sure a lot" she replied.
             Malthyal looked skeptical. "But why at night all the time? Why dosn't he do his business during the day?" He asked.
              "Like I said there is no telling with him." She said "besides, he likes spending time with you and he can't do that at night when you need your sleep right?"
             "That's true" said Malthyal all skepticism gone.
             "Speaking of which I think it is your bedtime" Lucia said. "Go ahead in there and I will come in and tuck you in in a few minutes okay?"
             "Alright" Malthyal said as he got up and went to his room.
            Lucia waited until he was out of sight then quickly turned to Johnathan who was sitting at the dining room table.
            "Did you hear all that? She asked.
            "Yes I did" he replied calmly.
            "We need to tell him" Lucia said excitedly. "He wants to know what his father does!"
            "No that isn't our decision. He isn't our kid after all" Johnathan replied.
            "I know but if he's old enough to be curious he's old enough to know." She threw back at him.
            "I agree but we need to talk to Jonas first."
            "Fine" she knew he was right but she never liked to admit it.
             And so after Lucia tucked Malthyal into bad she and Johnathan waited for Jonas to come home.
         And waited.
         And waited.
         And waited.
         "Day break has hit, where is he?" Johnathan asked with worry in his voice. "He is usually here by now."
          "Maybe he got lost?" Lucia suggested.
          "No he knows this whole city better than the back of his hand he would not be lost" he replied his worry worsening with every word.
            "Wishful thinking I guess" Lucia replied matching his worry.
             Just then someone started pounding on the door.
             "Who could that possibly be?" Asked Lucia.
              "Only one way to find out" said Johnathan moving towards the door.
              He flew the door open and standing there with worry plain on his face was Mickey one of Lucia and Johnathan's oldest friends.
               "Come hurry!" he said. Mickey prided himself with his use of manners and the fact that he wasn't using them scared Johnathan more then the expression on his face.
             "What about Malthyal?" Lucia asked.
             "Bring him Jonas asked for him." Mickey replied.
             "Jonas?" she asked.
             "No time, hurry!" Mickey said more worried looking then ever.
              So Lucia ran into Malthyal's room saw that he was surprisingly still asleep and roused him.
              She said "we have to go."
              "Why?" he asked a little cranking because he didn't like to be woken up.
               "I'll explain later it's an emergency" she replied anxiously.
               "Okay" he replied still confused.
                Five minutes later Malthayl was running trying to keep up with Lucia,Johnathan and the mysterious man he never saw before that they called Mickey down the street. They made it to this big building that Mickey called his home and he ushered them all inside and up the stairs into a small room with nothing but a lantern and a bad and lying on the bad was something Malthyal would never forget. The dying form of his father.
                 "Dad?" he asked 28th a himt of crying in his voice "what happened?"
                  "No time" said Jonas with the soft croak of someone who was obviously not well. "Come closer."
                  Malthyal ran up to his father's bed and leaned in close to catch his words.
                  "I need you to be strong okay? For me?" Jonas asked and Malthyal nodded.
                  "I want you to know I have always been proud of you and I have always love you and I have one request of you" Jonas said looking straight into his son's misty eyes.
                   "Yes father,anything" even at his young age Malthyal knew his father was dying so he had to make him happy in any way possible.
                    "A thief carry my legacy and become the best thief this city has ever seen." He said.
                    "A thief? What do you mean?" asked Malthyal.
                    "There's no time take this and carry my leagacy." as he said this Jonas handed his son a small key.
                     "What?What is this?" asked Malthyal balling.
                     But he never got the answer for that is the moment death took another life for his collection and the only thing Malthyal thought of for years afterward is he hoped death knew what a prize he had.