Prologue

"A thief" Malthyal thought of his father's dying words as he was looking for a way into the house he was assigned to. "Carry on my legacy and become the best thief this city has ever seen."
He would not have been disappointed because Malthyal had become the best in fact he was given the title of NightWalker just as his father had.
"That's why I get paid the big bucks." Malthyal said aloud when he found an opening so small in a window that only a master thief could see it.
He opened the window with a crowbar that he always his under his cloak and silently slipped inside.
It only took a few seconds for him to find what he was looking for. A big painting on the other side of the room. Since this was a rich person's home there would no doubt be booby traps so with a light foot made by many years of training the NightWalker slowly made it to the other side of the room where the picture loomed over him.
"Here goes" he quietly says to himself as he feels around the edge of the painting until he feels a small bump and pushes it.
At first nothing happened but then the picture sings out to reveal a locked vault. "The ignorance of the rich is what makes my job easy." Malthyal says as he quickly pulls out a set of lock picks and easily unlocks the vault. "There you are" he says as he pulled out the necklace that had so many jewels on it that it could have fed a small town for many years.
He slipped the precious necklace into the bag he always wore at his side, replaced the painting as it was, got back to the side of the room with the window and slipped out without even a creak of the hinges.

It wasn't always like this.
Not before the accident.