Chapter 19 - Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Mm-hmm. Just keep lying to yourselves."

My stomach growls in protest at my missing breakfast.

Ben catches up and steps between us. "Sounds like someone is hungry."

I can't deny it. He knows I skipped breakfast. "A little."

He pulls a granola bar out of his right pocket and hands it to me. I mumble my gratitude as I rip open the foil wrapper and take a bite.

"Hey, where's mine? Or did you forget about me again?" Lucy loves to tease him. She says it's because he is such a good sport about it. I think it's because he makes himself an easy target.

He wraps his arm around my shoulders as we walk and points at his pocket. "It's in there. Go get it."

She wastes no time, she reaches into his pocket and grabs it just as we reach the door to the stairs. We begin our descent to the first floor without a word.

I nearly slip when I drop the wrapper on the second landing, but Ben catches me.

"Am I going to have to carry you down the stairs?"

I blush. "No, I think I can make it. But here, put this in your pocket for me."

I thrust the wrapper at him and he slips it into his pocket.

We reach the main floor and as we are exiting, we run into John.

Relief washes over his face. "Good, I've found you."

"We've been in our suite. We even skipped breakfast."

His tone makes me nervous. Whenever John greets us like that, I expect trouble.

"I wanted to give you a heads-up about the hearing. The Council is aware of the method by which we obtained the information."

That can't be good news for me. "How much trouble am I in?" I swallow hard and do the only thing I can – hope for the best.

He shakes his head. "None. In fact, the Council is impressed by your method of guardian selection. They are even talking about making it a permanent part of the process."

I have to give credit where credit is due. "It was all Ben's idea. I was against it from the beginning."

John nods. He knows how much I hate going into people's minds. "I'll be sure to let them know that then, that way the appropriate person gets credit for it."

"Am I going to have to admit what I did in front of everyone?" I hope I won't have to.

"No. I've spoken with the Council and we've all agreed that it would put too much strain on your position here to reveal that."

"Well, that's a relief."

John hugs us. "You all need to get to the gym. The Council will be there in a few minutes." He releases us and disappears behind the door to the stairs.

By the time we get to the gym, it is already filled with people. As I look around the room, I realize that not everyone present is local. I'm not sure if it has to do with the impending graduation ceremony or the fact that disciplinary reviews are rarely held on earth.

Usually, if a Talonian is going to be charged with a crime, they are returned to Talonia to face charges. Since the Council is required at the graduation ceremony and the accused is a resident here, they decided to hold the review here on Earth.

As the victims of the alleged crime, Lucy and I are both required to be present. Anyone under the age of twenty Earth years is being told they have to leave unless they are somehow involved.

A guardian approaches and guides Lucy away from us.

Ben refuses to leave me alone, especially after what happened the night before with the Council.

"Ben, this place is crawling with guardians. What could happen? Besides, Abaddon is back on Talonia in prison. I'm safer here than alone in my room with you."

"I don't care, Mona. I'm not leaving."

I growl in frustration. That boy can be so stubborn sometimes.

I am just about to say something when one of the Council's guardians approaches us.

"Mr. Lockhart, your presence here is not required. I must ask you to leave."

Before Ben has a chance to respond, I take one small step toward the guardian. "He's here as my guardian. Surely you aren't asking him to leave me unattended."

"Very well then, I will inform the Council."

I catch a glimpse of Ben out of the corner of my eye. He is smiling. Just as I am about to tell him not to get used to getting his way, the Council walks in. Everyone in the room bows their heads in respect.

They approach the center of the gym, where a table has been set up with five chairs on one side, one for each of member of the Council. Five feet away from that table are two smaller tables, each with two chairs facing the direction of the Council's table.

Nobody dares utter a sound – the Council appears to be in a bad mood. But then, who wouldn't be? They are about to judge one of their own.

The gym doors open and Abigail Hunter steps into the gym, escorted by two guardians. Everyone watches silently as they walk her to one of the empty tables and she sits down.

What a joke.

I scan the room for John, who I haven't seen since we got here. He rushes through the door, looking a bit flushed. He must have run all the way down here. He gives me a quick smile and nod of recognition and hurries over to the last empty table. He knows you don't keep the Council waiting.

"This review is now in session. Let me remind everyone that if you lie during this review the consequences will be swift and harsh.

"Headmaster Lockhart, please read the charges against Abigail Hunter for the Council."

John clears his throat and stands up. "Abigail Hunter stands accused of destruction of Council property, vandalism, theft, possession of stolen property, and unlawful entry."

"Ms. Hunter, you have been charged with a number of infractions, the very least of which is the destruction of Council property. What have you to say for yourself?

"It was only a joke. It's not my fault that the spoiled brat doesn't have a sense of humor."

"Is that your defense?"

"No, it's the truth."

"Do you have a defense prepared, Ms. Hunter?"

Duh. "Of course I do."

"Well then, what is it? Don't keep us waiting, Ms. Hunter."

"Okay, so it's like this. Every graduating class does something so outrageously stupid that will get them remembered for generations. This was my last chance to be remembered. I didn't mean anything by it, honest. I was going to give them their stuff back since there's like nothing of theirs that I would even use, but someone turned me in before I could."

"Is that all, Ms. Hunter?"

Abigail thinks for a moment, then nods. "Yeah, I think that just about covers it."

"Do you deny any of these accusations?"

"No, I did it. I'm glad I did it. And I would do it again if I had the opportunity."

A few guardians in the back struggle to hold back horrified gasps at her apparent lack of respect.

The Council doesn't care why you did something or if you regret your actions. Once in a while though, when they are in a good mood, if you have a good reason for doing it or show remorse they might show a little leniency in the sentence. But it had better be a good reason, and they better be in an exquisite mood.

"Who helped you?"

"Nobody."

"Unless you would like to add a charge of perjury to your list, I strongly advise you to tell us the truth."