Chapter 17 - Part 2

Mona

It's strange having the entire suite to myself. I have grown used to having people around all the time.

I sit in my chair and stare out the window. I miss Lucy. I hope they bring the evacuees back soon—it is too quiet around here.

Never thought I'd feel that way.

Lost in my thoughts, I don't even hear the door open behind me. It isn't until I feel his hand on my shoulder that I even realize that I'm not alone.

I look up to see Jake standing behind me.

I smile up at him. "Sorry, I didn't hear you come in."

"It's okay. I wasn't going to stop by at all, but I needed to talk to you about something. I hope you don't mind my dropping in."

"Of course not, Jake. You're always welcome here you know that."

"I got an email from my parents today."

I can tell by the distant look in his eyes and the solemn tone of his voice that it's not good news. "Was I right?"

I don't know why I asked that. I can tell by his sullen behavior that they aren't happy about it.

"They said they are disappointed, but they'll get over it."

"Jake, your parents love you and that will never change. Right now they are in shock, so of course they are disappointed that you decided not to become a guardian. They will also soon come to realize how much more good you can do as a healer, and they will be less disappointed."

"Well, that's the thing. I didn't tell them I am a healer."

"Why not?"

"It just wasn't something I wanted to tell them in a letter. I figured I would tell them at graduation if they still come."

"Who did you say your parents are assigned to?" I try to recall the list of people that will be at the graduation ceremony.

"The Miltons, why?"

"Oh, your parents will be here for the ceremony, Jake, whether they want to be or not – Mr. Milton is on the attendance list. I think you'll be surprised at their reaction."

Ben walks into the room, looking stunning in his charcoal suit and the light lavender tie I bought him for his last birthday.

I cross the room to straighten his tie and blazer. "You just keep getting cuter by the day."

"I know."

I finish straightening his tie and I give him a playful slap on his arm. "You aren't allowed to be conceited."

"Yeah, I know. That's your job." He winks at me.

"Careful there, boy. You saw what I did yesterday. And I wasn't anywhere near full strength."

"Hey, guys, I think we should get to the transporter. The Council will be here any time now, and John asked us to greet them."

Grateful for the interruption, we all head down to the basement where the transporter is located. It's already powered up when we get down there, and two members of the Council's guardian team have already come through.

I turn to the transporter just as the first Council member steps through. I step forward and offer my hand.

"Greetings. I am Mona Lockhart, and it is my honor to welcome you to Earth."

The Council member takes my hand and bows her head in acknowledgment of my greeting. It is not common practice for lower members of the Council to speak on behalf of the Council.