Chapter 8 - Part 1

Mona

We are all sitting at the table enjoying our breakfast when John asks us what we have planned for the day.

"Lucy and I were thinking about going shopping. Abigail destroyed most of our clothes while she had them."

John nods and pulls his wallet out of his back pocket. "Here." He hands me his credit card. "Have fun shopping with your friends."

I can't believe he is actually going to let me go shopping on my own. "Thanks, John!"

John winks at me. "Not too much fun, of course."

Ben plucks the card from my hand. "Don't worry, Dad. I'll make sure she doesn't max out your card."

"Hey! He gave it to me." I try to grab it back from him, but he is too fast.

Lois comes in from the kitchen. "Everyone get enough to eat?"

We all nod as we enjoy the warm, sweet piles of pancakes on our plates. Breakfast is one of the few meals we eat that consist of human-friendly foods. For the most part, we eat foods that humans tend to find disgusting or inedible.

"So where are you girls going to go shopping today?"

I can tell that Lois has something on her mind.

I drain the last of my milk. "The Galleria Mall."

John glances in Ben's direction. "That's kind of far, isn't it?"

Ben stands up and starts clearing the table. "It's only in Cheektowaga, Dad. We will need the car though, if that's okay?"

"Of course it is. I just worry that there isn't enough gas in it to get you there."

"I'll stop for gas on the way."

"Remember not to overfill it."

"Dad, I've been driving for three years now. I think I can handle putting gas in the van."

John laughs and looks at Lois. "They grow up so fast."

Lois strolls over to Ben and puts her hand on his shoulder. "We know that, son. But it's our job to point out the obvious as well as the not-so-obvious." She looks over at me. "Mona, can I talk to you in the living room for a minute?"

I have come to expect that whenever Lois asks to talk to me alone she wants to yell at me. I take my time standing up as I send a questioning glance to John and Ben, who just shrug. It is obvious that they have no idea what is going on either.

I follow Lois into the living room. She glances over my shoulder to make sure nobody has followed us. "I need you to get a gift for John. Our anniversary is coming up and I don't have time to go shopping."

Wow, she actually trusts me to do something right. "Sure. Any idea what you want to get him?"

"He could use a new tie. The two he has now are old and starting to lose their color."

I nod in agreement with her assessment. "No problem."

Lois looks like something has just occurred to her. "You're taking your guardians, right?"

"Of course."

I can hear Ben's voice getting louder as he makes his way to the living room with John. "I'd love to stick around all day, Dad. But we need to get going if we're going to be home in time for dinner."

"Remember, don't go over the speed limit."

"I know, Dad."

"Don't forget to use your turn signals, and don't pass anyone."

"I got this, okay? We'll be fine."

John hands him the keys. "Drive carefully."

When we get to my suite, Lucy is pacing the living room. "I was beginning to think you were going to cancel on me."

I smile and hug her. "Not a chance."

Ben is eager to get this trip over with. He hates the mall. "Let's go. We need to stop for gas, and I don't want to get caught in traffic."

When we get to the van, us girls climb into the back while Johnson and Ben sit up front discussing the plan for the day.

"I should go sit up front so I know what's going on."

Lucy puts on her best pouty face. "No, stay with us. We can talk about boys and stuff."

"I really should be up there."

I want to support my friend, and I'd love to get to know Martinez better. "It's okay. Besides, it will give us a chance to get to know each other."

We stop for gas and Lucy runs into the store to buy some snacks and drinks for everyone. When she gets back, she opens the plastic bag and pulls out a KitKat, my all-time favorite.

I snatch the bar from her hand like a starving heathen. "You remembered!"

"Of course I remembered. What kind of best friend would I be if I forgot your favorite candy bar?"

Martinez sits there staring at us while we laugh. "I think I should go up and talk to the guys about strategy and stuff."

Lucy is disappointed. "Aww, c'mon, stay here with us."

Martinez shakes her head. "Nah, I think I'd better get caught up on the logistics before we get to the mall."

We watch as Martinez makes her way toward the front of the van. We sit in silence for a few minutes as we watch the cars passing us.

"You are so lucky, Mona."

"What do you mean?"

"You get to go back to Talonia after you graduate."

I smile. "You get to go back before I do."

Lucy shakes her head. "Actually, I'll probably never see Talonia."

"What makes you say that?"

"You have your destiny and I have mine. Mine just happens to be a little less glamorous than yours."

"Don't be silly, Lucy. Your destiny can be whatever you make it."

"I wish that were the case. There's nothing special about my trait. Because of my size and trait, it has already been decided that I won't make a good guardian."

"So what exactly do they expect you to do?"

"After graduation I will marry someone who is suitable. He will go get a human job, we'll buy a lovely home here on Earth. And one day, after we're well embedded in human society, the Council will consider us to host new children when they come to Earth."

"But you could do so much more than that."

"Not according to the Council."

"What about you and Jake?"

"He's a healer—he'll go to Talonia."

"But you two care about each other. You should be able to stay together."

"Our feelings as individuals don't matter. If the Council feels it's better to separate us, then that's what will happen."

"If you could choose a path for yourself, what would you choose?"

Before she has a chance to answer, Ben slows the van down and I notice we are at the mall. "Where do you want to go first?"

Lucy and I look at each other. "Macy's."

We both start laughing as Ben pulls into a parking spot as close to the entrance of the store as he can find.

"Remember to stay close to one of us at all times."

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, I know."

As soon as we walk in the front door, we are accosted by an overwhelming scent of cosmetics and perfumes. Lucy wants to go check out the cosmetics counter. "Go ahead. I need to hit the men's department. I promised Lois I'd get John a nice tie."

"Meet you by the escalators in half an hour?"

"Sounds good to me."