Chapter 12 - Part 2

Start bij het begin

The room once again falls silent as everyone contemplates strategies. Occasionally someone starts to say something, finds a flaw, and abandons the thought.

I sit on the couch and watch my companions as they struggle to find an acceptable strategy. I lean back and close my eyes. I'm exhausted. I am tired a lot lately. Must be the constant energy drain from using my traits.

Nobody has said anything in a while.

It's time.

I open my eyes and bolt forward. "I got it!"

Everyone turns their attention to me and waits for me to explain. I have to admit it's nice to have people eager to hear what I have to say.

"Use me as bait."

Their eyes all go wide and they stare at me. Everyone except Ben appears to be too surprised to say anything.

Ben jumps up off the couch and starts yelling. "Oh hell no! You have lost your damn mind if you think, even for a second, that I will stand by and watch you do this. I can't even believe you would suggest something as outrageously stupid as this."

I have to do something to calm him down before he ties me up and locks me away somewhere.

"I'm not saying let them take me, Ben. Calm down."

John's shock wears off. "Excuse me?"

"I said use-"

John interrupts me. "I know what you said. What I don't know is why you thought we'd go along with it."

I am still working on the details. I hope they might be able to give me some ideas. "I have a plan I think will draw Abaddon and his goons out in a way that would benefit us."

John is apprehensive. "How dangerous is it?"

I know what he is asking, but everyone needs to hear the answer. "For who?"

"For everyone."

I know he is more worried about me and Ben. The guardians can handle themselves. It's what they've been trained to do.

"If all goes according to plan, it's no more dangerous for me than sitting here in this room waiting for him to find me. As for the guardians, well, they are still going to have to fight the Nukpana. They'll just be on the offensive side rather than the defensive."

* * *

Ben

I stare at them in disbelief. "How can you even consider this, Dad?"

I can't understand why he isn't as upset about the idea as I am. Doesn't he care what happens to her?

"I'm doing this, Ben. With or without you. I'd prefer it if you were with me though." It's clear nobody is going to side with me, so I sit down next to Mona. While I'm not at all happy about this, she seems pretty set on doing it.

"I know you're upset about this. I'm not exactly looking forward to it either, but I like the idea of innocent lives being cut short for no reason even less."

She gives us a brief overview of her plan. Nobody says anything until she is finished.

My dad seems to agree with her logic. "And you think this will work?"

"Yes. And I think it's our best option."

I am a bit more skeptical. "Have you seen it work?"

"Not exactly, no. But I'm confident that it will. Since it's me he wants, if he thinks I'm willing then maybe he'll see no reason to hurt anyone else."

Before another argument can break out, Dad stands up. "Let me talk to the other guardians and see if they can come up with anything better. We have twenty-four hours to decide and work out the details. You should all make sure you get a good night's sleep. It's going to be a long day tomorrow."

"I think Dad's right. I think we should all get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a long day for all of us."

Martinez stands up and starts collecting the dishes from dinner. "I'll clean this up. You guys go on to bed."

"Thanks. Make sure you all get some sleep too."

I take Mona by the hand and lead her to her bedroom. She starts rummaging through her dresser and pulls out a pair of pajamas.

"I'll wait outside. Let me know when you're done."

She nods and I step out into the living room.

Several minutes later she opens the door and sticks her head out. "Goodnight, everyone."