Chapter 8 - Part 3

Începe de la început

Ben, Martinez, and Johnson waste no time in following us. I focus my attention on Ben and nothing else. If anyone can save me, it will be him.

Ben's voice soothes me as he tries to talk sense into the man. "Let the girl go and we'll forget this ever happened."

"You know I can't do that."

"Mona, are you listening?"

"Ben, help me."

"Don't worry, I'm not going to let him hurt you. You need to listen to me very carefully and do exactly what I tell you to."

"Just tell me what to do."

"You have to get him to let go of you and then get out of the way."

"How do I do that?"

"I don't know! Stomp on his foot or something. You can do this, Mona."

I waste no time, I stomp on his foot as hard as I can. All it does though is cause him to tighten his grip. He has my arms pinned at my side with one arm, and his other arm is wrapped around my throat.

"It didn't work!"

"Bite him!"

I can't believe what he's asking me to do. "You want me to what?"

"Just do it and get out of the way."

I really don't want to do it, but it looks like I don't have any other choice. I open my mouth and bite down on the man's arm as hard as I can. It works – he releases me with a squeal.

"Ouch! You little monster!"

I allow myself to fall forward toward the floor. As I make contact with the floor, I feel a gust of air caress my skin caused as Ben flies over me. His shoulder makes contact with the man's midsection and I hear all the air escaping the man's body.

When it is clear that Ben has complete control over the man, Martinez helps me to my feet and steps in front of me. Johnson appears out of nowhere and stands behind me. Lucy arrives at my side moments later. It is as if they are trying to create a protective wall around me.

Ben is still on top of the man, attempting to get him to answer his questions. The man just screams for help.

Security guards come running into the department and attempt to restrain Ben. Even with four of them working together they aren't strong enough to pry him off.

I am about to scream at them when Martinez intervenes. "Officer, you are trying to detain the wrong man."

One of the security guards turns his attention to her. "I beg your pardon?"

"That man he's pinning was trying to abduct our companion. Ben was simply doing his job. He was protecting her." She points at me over her shoulder, never letting her attention waver from the guards.

"Did he hurt her?"

Martinez shakes her head. "No, sir, we were able to react quickly enough that the man wasn't able to get too far."

The guard nods his head. "We'll take it from here. Rest assured that he will not be bothering you anymore."

Ben stands up and assumes his position at my side. He places his arm around my waist protectively and looks down at me. "We need to get you out of here."

"I'm all right."

I can see there is something he wants to tell me but is concerned about who might hear him. "Okay, what are you thinking?"