30 | The Choice

30
Breaking Dawn   [Pt.1]
T h e   C h o i c e

BELLA AND EDWARD'S upcoming wedding brought chaos to the Cullen household, but it was chaos that was very much welcomed. While Alice ran around on a wedding-planning frenzy, stringing everyone along in the madness of putting up decorations and preparations, Adele spent her time trying to find a way to tell her family that she was going to adopt a child.

She sat on the railing of her deck, swinging her legs over the edge as she read through the file of the orphan the clerk had given her. It was her third time reading the file and the millionth time she looked at her photograph, and her she couldn't get enough. Her name was Maxine and she was four-years-old with dirty blonde curls and big blue eyes that yearned for a parent's love. After her heart-to-heart with Madeline, Adele realized what she wanted more than anything else now was a child -- this child. She needed this in her life to make it whole, to experience a side of humanity that she never truly knew.

Seeing as the paperwork and adoption process was over and done, leaving only the task of meeting Maxine in person, the only predicament that stood was telling her family and Paul. She would be stealing spotlight from Edward and Bella (she didnt much care about that) but then there was Paul, who was entirely oblivious to her plans because he'd been on a trip to see his mother in Michigan for the past week. It would come as a slap in the face to him and she only hoped that he would approve.

Adele peered down into the spacious yard to observe everything beginning to put things together for the wedding reception and party. It was in two weeks and Alice insisted on having everything ready so Bella would only have to worry about learning to not break her ankles in heels -- which, despite the pixie's best efforts, still didn't help. Rosalie, Emmett, and Jasper placed two rows of carved tree trunks to the back of the area where the reception was to take place, while Esme and Carlisle brought in the white chairs. Alice stood on the wooden altar, weaving morning-glory vines into the archway where the love birds would say I do. Bella and Edward were spending the remaining days of their engagement in town, which made it a hell of a lot easier to interupt the calm mood so Adele could tell them her news.

"May I speak with you all?" She leapt off of the railing with the file in hand and landed gracefully on the grass. She fidgeted nervously with the cornwrs of the folder as they all gathered curiously around her.

Esme and Carlisle abandoned the remaining chairs to walk over. "What is it, honey?"

Jasper, sensing her nervousness, sent a calming wave over her and she shot him a thankful smile. "I've wanted to talk to you about this for quite a while, but with the newborn army, the Volturi, and now the wedding." She gestured to the set up going on aroynd them, but spoke sweetly so as not to trigger the frenzied wedding-planner in Alice's blood. "I did not want to take the spotlight away from Edward and Bella, but I cannot wait any longer....

Carlisle wrapped his arm around her and gave her a soft, encouraging smile. "What do you want to tell us?"

As much as the thought pained him, he thought that she was going to announce she was leaving them, considering how her relationship with Paul had progressed. He had jo clue his little girl was about to tell them that she wanted a little girl of her own.

She drew in a deep breath, shut her eyes, and spoke slowly so even she could recognize the gravity of her news. "I'm going to adopt a child."

She was met with silence and so she expected the worst of reactions from them, but when she opened her eyes, they were all smiling stupidly at her. They didn't want to scare her with their excitement -- a child in the house! -- but when they saw the hopefulness in her eyes, they couldn't control themselves.