19 | Finding Him

19
Eclipse
F i n d i n g   H i m

NEW BEGINNINGS ARE often described as painful endings and maybe – just maybe – when everything falls apart, it might be falling into place. Adele Cullen had never felt so lost in her entire life as she stared at Paul Lahote –it was like her whole world obliterated into millions of pieces and scattered like pieces of a puzzle. She was lost, but she wasn't scared.

When her sister disappeared when she was only five years old, Adele didn't know what to make of it because she was much too young and naive. When her mother was murdered before her eyes, it marked the first calamity she'd ever see and she became used to them – in fact, she expected them. In 1727, when Jace was slaughtered, she decided to never fall in love with something or someone ever again so she wouldn't lose herself again. But the way she lost herself just by standing in the presence of Paul Lahote...it was a good kind of lost, like she was standing at a crossroads to choose her future. Maybe she was.

It was with great effort that Adele shook his warm hand and formally introduced herself, "Adele Cullen," but her voice didn't ring with sarcasm, she whispered with disbelief. He returned his hand to his side and she quickly averted her gaze until she spotted Alice. Alice furrowed her eyebrows at them – why do you look so troubled? – but she went rigid in the middle of the dance floor.

Adele swore and said, "Jasper," and he was by his mate's side in an instant. She shut her eyes and read Alice's mind: Bella's blouse – newborn vampires – a coven – inhaling her scent – a leader, a boy – Riley Beers? – he was making the decisions – attack on the Olympic coven – in a fortnight – darkness.

As Jacob returned to his friends with Bella at his side, reconciled, Adele swore under her breath, "Fuck," and the men turned to her.

"What?" questioned Jacob.

Paul quirked an eyebrow, "What is it?"

She eyed Paul warily and turned on her heels, "Excuse me." She wove through the crowd and reached Alice as she stood in a shaken stupor. Jasper comfortingly clamped a hand down on her shoulder but before Adele could reached them, she felt the shapeshifters and Bella follow her. She growled – they were crossing the line. Go upstairs before the mongrels start interrogating you, she thought to them, before she rounded on the lot and growled.

"What is it?" questioned Bella, "What'd she see?"

Jacob hovered behind Bella, "Okay, something is going on. Tell me."

From the corner of her eyes, she saw Alice and Jasper slip away and made to follow them, calling back to the men, "You boys can just let yourselves out. Bella can show you th–" Jacob grabbed her arm and she halted in her tracks, slowly craning her head to glare murderously at him.

"Why won't you tell us what's going on?!" he hissed.

Bella's eyes widened as Adele's golden irises turned black as she fought to keep her calm. The humans dancing around them were oblivious to the commotion but Jasper sensed the tension and appeared again. He walked casually through the crowd until he saw Jacob's hands on her. His expression was lethal. "I suggest you remove your hand from my sister's arm before I do."

Jacob cautiously removed his hand. "Just trying to get some info–"

"The decision's been made, you stupid dog." she growled from a spot deep in her throat and the ferocity of her tone made their blood run cold.