29 | The Orphanage

29
Breaking Dawn [pt.1]
T h e   O r p h a n a g e

THE FOLLOWING NIGHT, Adele came home from clubbing with Paul to find that she had the entire house to herself, which was a very rare occasion. So naturally, she went up to her room and played soft music on her stereo as she tidied up. 

Adele loved living with her family and being with her father, but sometimes she found herself tired of the lack of privacy and space. She'd parted ways with her coven for a few years at a time, so it wouldn't be new for her to do it again --

"--Do you know just how long I waited for everyone to leave this house?" She turned around to see Madelins leaning against the doorway that led out to the deck. Her sister wore heels, dark skinny jeans, and a hoodie to hide her hair and face from anyone who might spot her out. "Seven hours."

"There are eight of us."

Madeline scrutinized her. "You don't seem surprised that I'm here."

"You can mask your scent," that was, after all, Madeline's ability, "But you can't mask your thoughts." She tossed a book back onto her bed and turned to her. "Not that I am not thrilled to see you here, but what are you doing here? You could be seen."

"Life is boring as hell without a few risks." She waved her paranoia off with a grin. "Besides, I want to spend some time with you -- and you are not allowed to object."

"I wasn't going to."

Madeline quirked an eyebrow as she followed her younger sister downstairs and out of the house. "Today must have been a good day?"

"Well, considering that no one has tried to kill us in over two weeks," they hopped into her car and she revved the engine. "Yes, I'd say it was a good day."

"That's the spirit." She chuckled and fiddled with the radio. She was planning to spend time with her sister for weeks and now, she finally had the chance. She wanted to get to know the little girl who grew up. "Now let's go. I know of a great little bar on the edge of Port Angeles."

*         *        *

The sisters walked in sync down a block on the edge of the city in the dead of the night. Street lamps lit the desolate street as they walked past the closed shops towards a small bar, Lou's Reserve, wedged at the corner. As soon as Madeline opened the door, the women were overcome by the stench of stale liquor and the drunk slurs of men as they cheered for a game on the television.

They entered the bar as though they were partners in crime for years and Madeline loved it. She never imagined she would see her little sister again, so now that she was an adult, she could treat her as the best friend always wanted to. They waltzed over to a table where half a dozen men sat, dealing cards.