Daggerfangs

Nira had swam for an hour, until the sun went down. In the darkness, she had flown home with Eclipse and Wisp, soaking wet. After changing and drying off, sleep was a wonderful thing.
      She woke up in a bout of excitement. The Daggerfang migration was coming through the river that day. Unlike many other days, in which she lay for nearly an hour in bed, attempting to wake up, she leapt upwards and onto the oaken floor. She changed into a short-sleeved blue shirt, and black shorts. Dragonriders weren't advised to wear shorts, but she didn't care. It was so hot out. Pulling on her boots as she went, she stumbled out into the dark street.
       She had woken up earlier than usual that morning, and it was pitch dark outside. She pushed open the stable doors quietly, revealing two sleeping dragons. Wisp's wings hung precariously from his rafter nest.
       Nira wasn't planning on waking them up, but she must had accidentally made too much noise, because on her way out, Wisp glided up behind her silently. He hooked his claws around her shoulder, wrapping his tail around her neck, the tuft of fur on the end tickling her nose.

"I see that someone's awake." She remarked.

        Wisp shrieked, flapping his wings and gliding over to Eclipse. He balanced precariously on her nose, face to face with the much larger dragon.

"I wouldn't do that, Wisp..." Nira advised, but it was too late.

         Wisp let out a loud shriek, waking up Eclipse. She threw up her silver head, tossing the small Windracer into the air. She growled, long tail flicking. Her azure eyes darted around the room, searching for the dragon who woke her up.
         Eclipse's gaze landed on Wisp, who was hanging from the rafters from his tail. She let out a snarl before turning to Nira. A rumble of greeting escaped her throat.
       Eclipse bounded out of the stall, tail  lashing with excitement. She was always excited in the mornings, but as the migration was coming through that day, she was elated. Silver Schwers were intelligent dragons, able to remember the dates of migrations and other things that didn't relate to them at all. She must have told Wisp, too, because he was swinging from the rafters with joy.
        Nira hefted her saddle onto her back, and they were off. They were to meet Skandar by the river, near the edge of town. The river cut through the Ravine, a strong current of water that only strong swimming dragons could survive in it. Legends said that a Gillspot lived in the depths, but Gillspots were extremely territorial and wouldn't allow migrations, especially one on the scale of the Daggerfangs. Nira was pretty sure that Calem was just full of idiots. 
       Nira swung off of Eclipse's back, striding over to the edge of the cliff. Years of dragon riding had made her undaunted of heights, and she even sat down, legs hanging over the edge.
       Wisp leapt off of the edge, soaring in circles high above the water. His nostrils were flared, and his ears perked, waiting to alert the others of the Daggerfangs.
Eclipse wandered beside Nira, laying down in the soft grass beside her. She placed her large head in her lap, and Nira stroked it absentmindedly.
They only had to sit for a few minutes before footsteps could be heard behind them. Skandar had made it at the perfect time, dawn was just on the horizon. The sun had barely even poked out over the edge of the plain, a mere sliver of light. The dark skies were tinted gold on the edges.

"So, when are these Daggerfangs going to show up?" Skandar asked, sitting down beside Nira.

Triton sat stiffly near the edge, staring into the rapid waters below with pale blue eyes.

"When the sun is exactly halfway over the horizon." Nira answered.

        She glanced at the sun briefly. It was inches away from being time.

"They should be here pretty soon, then."

         Nira couldn't even answer, because a deep roar sounded across the Ravine. Wisp let out a shriek soon after, gliding over to the edge. He perched on top of Eclipse's horns, staring at the water.
         And then the Daggerfangs began to flow in. The grey water slowly turned brown from the hundreds of Daggerfangs and their earthen coloured scales. But Nira was looking for a specific one.

"There he is! Look, Skandar! It's Gash!" She shouted, pointing to the front of the pack.

         An Amber coloured Daggerfang surfaced, letting out another roar. His massive crown of horns poked out over the water. Nira squinted, making out a deep scar over his eye. It was definitely him.
        A sudden idea crossed Nira's mind.

"Skandar, I'm going to do something crazy."

"What?"

          And then Nira leapt off of the cliff, towards the dragons below.

I kinda forgot to update this. Heh, sorry. Oh well.