Prologue

A solitary Windracer dragon soared over the small town of Calem, riderless and free. Delicate white wings grazed the wispy clouds as the smaller dragon made its way across the plains. A tuft of fur traveled from the top of its head to the tip of its tail. It rustled in the wind pleasantly.
An odd sound was heard from behind the small dragon. A sound that one could only describe as a mix between a shriek and a roar. The cry was purely draconic.
The Windracer turned its small head, long nose pointing towards the sound. A large, silver-scaled dragon rose upwards beside it, a young rider sitting atop a white-leather saddle on its back.

"Wisp!" The rider shouted over the wind.

The rider, a young girl, was gripping the soft-leather reins. Her hair, a silvery blonde, matched the silver scales of the dragon on which she sat.
Wisp shrieked joyously, landing behind her on the back of the silver dragon. He placed his head on the shoulder of the rider, his skull only slightly smaller than hers.
A thin, forked tongue shot out of his mouth, licking the side of the girl's face. She briefly let go of the reins with one hand, scratching the chin of the Windracer. Her hand ran along the soft fur that followed the dragon's spine, down to his tailtip.
Wisp suddenly began to shriek, claws digging into the silver scales of the larger dragon, but the scales were stronger than the small claws, so no damage was sustained.
The rider's eyes caught on the source of Wisp's shrieks. A buck was meandering through the forest that bordered the north side of Calem, oblivious to the trio that was staring directly at it.

"There's your dinner, Eclipse." The rider said, motioning to the deer.

                The silver dragon's forked tongue flicked out briefly in excitement for the coming meal. Her wings arced and then bent into a steep dive, foreclaws extended towards the mammal.
                The deer's ears flicked upwards, catching the sound of the dragon's wings fluttering in the wind. Its delicate, horned head swiveled around, where its gaze was met by the azure eyes of Eclipse. A sound of shock uttered from its mouth, the buck suddenly thrown into motion. It leapt through the brush on thin legs, not paying any attention to anything but its escape.
             Eclipse ducked beneath the line of leaves, following the deer through the forest. The panicked beast broke through bushes, birds scattering. Wisp chased after small birds, catching a few songbirds for his own dinner. With a final roar of triumph, Eclipse sunk her foreclaws into the haunch of the buck.
              She lifted the panicking deer up through the treeline, into the open air. With silver claws, she flipped creature, catching it by its neck, breaking it instantly.
               The trio soared into an open field, an easily found location in a town primarily in a plain. Eclipse slung the deer onto the ground, beginning to tear into the corpse. The rider, named Nira, slid off of the saddle, landing in the long grass.
               Wisp dropped the birds beside the buck, diverting his attention to the large mammal that was releasing a delicious aroma. He flicked a white ear, creeping up behind the larger dragon.
             He quickly tore through the pelt on its neck, tearing out a piece of meat. Eclipse suddenly heard the sound of the smaller dragon stealing her food. A snarl reverberated from her throat, and she leapt onto Wisp. For a moment, the much smaller dragon attempted to fight back, soon realizing that the Silver Schwer was much stronger than him. He quickly swallowed the meat, and ran off into a taller patch of grass submissively to eat his birds.
          Nira laughed absentmindedly, scratching the tuft of fur on top of Wisp's head. The Windracer cooed quietly through the bird that he was eating. Blood stained the white scales and fur of his face and neck.
          The sun was beginning to set, sending a golden glow across the field. Eclipse's silver scales glittered and reflected the light as she tore into the buck.
           When the dragon's were finished with their meal, Nira climbed onto the white-leather saddle that was placed on Eclipse's back, just behind the neck and before the wings.
          She took a few running steps before flinging herself into the air, wings catching an updraft. Wisp bit down on Eclipse's tail, and the larger dragon flicked her tail upwards to throw the small dragon into the air. He didn't necessarily need her assistance, but she was willing to help.
They glided over the grassland, rabbits and field mice scattering as the long grasses bent in the wind that they kicked up. Night fell, stars sprinkling the dark skies. A cool wind crossed the plains as they landed in front of their small home.
Eclipse dropped Nira at the door, heading off to her stable. Wisp followed, although he commonly slept in the rafters of the room that was built into the side of the house. Nira had even built a platform up there, and bedded it with hay.
She, however, entered her own home. It was small, and most of the things inside made of wood. Her parents had left, insisting that her dragon could provide for her. They even gifted her a Windracer. But nothing would replace their absence.