Take to the Skies

Nira awoke that morning with the underlying hint of joy in the depths of her heart. A natural feeling that one could not re-create. She rolled out of her bed and across the soft oak floor. A miscellaneous outfit was chosen, and quickly put on before the young rider rushed out of the door towards the stable.
The door of the stable opened, slamming against the wall as Nira rushed inside. Eclipse, who was snoring loudly, chest rising and falling with every deep breath. Her sapphire eyes flicked open suddenly, head shooting upwards soon afterwards. A coo of joy escaped her jaws as she leaned her head over the stall door.
She grinned, scratching the silver dragon under her chin. She dodged her long neck, unlatching the lock. Eclipse bounded out of the stall, long tail lashing joyously.
A whistle was heard from above her, in the rafters. A few blades of hay drifted down and onto the dirt floor, and Wisp soon after. The small Windracer fell from his nest, snapping open his white wings just before he slammed into the hard-packed earth. He flipped over midair, sailing through the air of the stable and landing before Nira.
             Her mouth twitched into a grin. She patted the small dragon on his tufted head. She turned away, grabbing the saddle that was hanging from the empty stall door. The heavy leather apparatus was lifted into the air, Eclipse bending over to allow Nira to place it on her back.
                 She climbed onto her back, the dragon straightening up. Wisp scampered up onto her back too, sitting just behind Nira. His clawed wings hooked onto her shoulders, and Eclipse took off. She soared through the doors, tail flicking the door closed.

"Well, the man said that we should come an hour after dawn. Let's get in some hunting, alright?" Nira said cheerfully.

Eclipse let out an excited roar. Her sapphire eyes glittered with excitement as she folded her wings tight to her sides to chase after a warren of rabbits. Nira gripped the saddle, a laugh escaping her mouth.
The rabbits scattered, Wisp and Eclipse catching as many as they could.
After the dragons had eaten their fill, they started on their way towards the shop. She slid off of her dragon's back, striding towards the place. The small building's door was not locked, and she let herself inside. Eclipse followed her, Wisp still on her back.
The old man was asleep, his cloak still dipping over his face. She had no idea what he looked like, and she was too shy to find out.
Nira wasn't sure whether or not to wake him up. He seemed fast asleep, and it'd be pretty awkward to have to physically awaken him. She didn't have to think for long, because he woke up quickly with a start.

"Ah, I didn't see you there. Good morning." He said.

"Good morning."

"I forgot to ask your name yesterday. What is it?" He asked.

"Oh, it's Nira." She explained.

           She wanted to ask him what his name was, but she didn't. She'd just refer to him as Sir, she decided.

"Ah, that's not a bad name."

"Thank you, sir. Uh, Is there anything that you need me to do?"

"Of course!" He said.

"Wonderful. What is it?"

"You know the ravine, I assume?"

"Definitely." Nira assured.

"Well, there is a cave. In that cave, there is an adolescent Dartfang dragon. I'd like you to bring him to me." He told her.

Nira was shocked. She had expected some sweeping or shelving, maybe even some errands. Dartfangs were extremely fearsome, extremely fast, and extremely poisonous.

"Sir, are you serious about this? Darties are pretty fearsome." Nira asked in a confused tone.

"You can handle a Silver Schwer, and extremely well to boot. She's very well trained. With two dragons, you can handle it."

"I don't know, Sir. I'll try my best."

He clapped once, beckoning to a coil of rope hanging from the wall.

"You might need that."

Nira nodded, grabbing the rope. She led Eclipse and Wisp out the door, waving goodbye to the old man.

"Take your time!" He shouted.

             She took off over the terrain, in the direction of the Ravine. She stroked Eclipse's neck.

"Let's just play it by ear, alright? We can do this." She assured.

           The silver dragon let out a purr, flicking her tail in acceptance. Nira secretly was terrified. Of all things, a Dartfang. A Dartfang. One of the most aggressive breeds of dragons.
           Oh well, we'll try our best. She thought to herself.