Chapter 1

"What do you mean? I thought you loved me.." He says to me. I bite my bottom lip that won't stop quivering. "I'm sorry Mat, I just don't see you in that way.. I thought that I loved you but I.." I stop short. Am I telling the truth? Do I not love him anymore? "I think we should be friends, if you're willing." I finally say, knowing that what I'm saying is what I truly mean in the least disrespectful way possible. "But we've been together for a year, and I even took consideration that you're not ready for sex because you're still a virgin."

I furrow my eyebrows at him. "You think that this is the reason why I'm breaking up with you?" I ask. He sits back in the couch in our apartment. "I'd say yes, what? Are you scared that I'll take advantage of you? That I won't want to wait forever?" His jaw clenched making it look squared and sharp. "It's not even that." I say. He squints at me. "I just don't feel that this is for me anymore Mat, you're not for me. I really enjoyed our time together and you mean a lot to me, but I just feel that we need to move on with our lives." I say. His eyes never leaving mine.

"And you realize this now? After we were almost a year and a month?" I cross my arms over my chest, not really able to meet his eyes. "I've felt it recently, it's not like I stayed with you to play with your heart. I just.." I swallow my saliva, making my throat less dry. "So.. Did you ever love me at all?" He asks. I drop my arms and finally look up at him. His dark hair combed to one side, his blonde roots coming out making his hair look like some type of layered cake. His blue green eyes becoming watery, I nod. "Yes, I did." I say simply. He then looks down at his torn jeans.

"Very well then.. I'll have my stuff out by tomorrow afternoon." He says standing up and heading to the bedroom we once shared. I sit on the couch where he sat not too long ago and listen to him rubbishing through his things to leave. My eyes water and I cover my mouth with my hand. This is what we need, and it's enough for our new beginnings. We are different people now, not the same people that fell in love a year ago. I know that we'll be fine, he'll be fine.

**
• A year later •

It still goes through my head every once in a while, but for sure I know that the feelings I once had for him have become nothing more than friendly affection. It's been a year, and we've actually stayed friends. I know what you're thinking, that it's hard for people who were once together to become friends after a break up. But actually it was pretty easy. If you cooperate with each other and set boundaries, you should be fine. We'd ask each other advice about work and relationships... Okay. Now that I'm thinking about it is actually pretty weird. But hey, life goes on right?

My phone then beeps and I look down at it.

-

Mat-
Hey can we meet up?

Me-
Sure. Mall?

Mat-
You know it :)

-

I grab my keys and head out to my car, I wonder what he wants to talk about.

**

"What do you mean you got stood up?" I ask Mat as he stares at me from the other side of the table at the mall. "Yeah, I guess she only thought of me as a friend." He says, looking down at his plate of pizza that he kept poking at. I frown. "Mat, she's stupid if she stood you up. You're an amazing guy" and I know that he is. He looks up at me with sad expression written all over his face. He finally smiles, that smile that used to make my heart race. But where's that feeling now?

"I feel bummed just sitting here and sulking about some girl, let's go have fun." he says, and I look at him smiling. "Yes! Where!?" I ask, he leans in. His face close to mine, I lean back as much as I could in my chair. "Let's go to a club." He suggests. "A club?" I look at him confused. I take out my phone and look at the time. 7:39 we've been here for five hours, and I didn't even notice.