Chapter 45: The Auspicious One In The Family

Start from the beginning

I descended the steps of the apartment stupidly, because of my sudden overpowering fear of elevators. My legs started to shake with nervousness when I reached the bottom step when a thought crossed my mind that David would most likely scream at me for being so late.

I waved down a taxi, paid them and ushered them to drive fast.

“I’m so thirsty,” I muttered to myself as I stared out the window. I had no memory of the last time I took a sip of water and I hadn’t had a drink of anything all morning since I was in such a rush.

“Here. I have a water bottle,” the driver said.

I clutched the water bottle from them and without thinking twice chugged half of it down. “Thanks! I’ll pay for this too I guess.”

He nodded in the reer view mirror, his small eyes staying on me as he drove. He stopped the car almost reluctantly and gave me a hard stare. “How are you feeling?”

“Good,” I said with a small smile. It was a lie, since my body was feeling a little weak. I marked it down as I had a cold and opened the Taxi door.

“Wait!” he said hurriedly. “You forgot you’re um….purse.”

I glanced back at the seat and saw it blur a little. I blinked and it was back to normal. My purse wasn’t there. “No I didn’t,” I said and slammed the door behind me.

What a creep.

I turned to look up the Devin & Son Loan Building with worried eyes.  I was focusing so much on all the scenarios I would face once I walked into my Boss’ office three and a half hours late, that I started to hyperventilate a little. 

Then I started to hyperventilate a lot.

Then I started seeing things. And by seeing things I mean the people on the street looked distorted and dark. I crashed into one man who’s face looked angled all wrong and scary. I felt a burning hot hand grab onto my arm. “Videbis veraveritate revelationis in superficie,” a man’s voice whispered to me in almost a chant. I felt the hand on my arm squeeze even harder, becoming a scorching temperature.

You will see the truth in truths revealing surface.

I screamed and went to punch them but by the time I turned they were gone.

My arm lit into flames and spread throughout my body. Sweat started to pour down my face even in the thirty-something degree weather.

Then I stumbled into her.

The girl with the pink Mohawk I spotted weeks before. But she had piercings that lined the bridge of her nose and light red eyes that matched the red blouse she was wearing. I blinked as I held onto her shoulders.

Her face changed and this time she had no piercings, and no pink Mohawk. She had long blonde hair and dark eyes.

“Are you ok, Hun?” she asked as she gently pulled me towards the building. “Do you need help?”

“No…no,” I gasped as I entered the building with staggering legs. “I don’t know what’s wrong with me...I…you…Mohawk….”

She frowned. I felt myself plop into a chair and vaguely knew I was on the first floor of the office building in a plush chair. People roamed around the place with suitcases.

 “What?”

“Who are you?”

She gave me a strange look. “Who are you?”

“I don’t know,” I said quietly, feeling as if the world was slightly spinning. I stood up and tried to walk towards the center of the room. People brushed past me without apologies and whacked me by accident with their suitcases. The heat in the room seemed to increase. I tried to focus on something that was still. The girl in front of me shook my shoulders and yelled something at the people around her.