WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY

Start from the beginning

I followed behind her quickly as she started walking toward the stairs.   I was irritated that this same maid had forgotten to tell me last night that there was an elevator.  Now, she was wanting me to climb down the mountain of stairs and skip the elevator again.  I stopped as soon as she approached the stairs.  She noticed, and stopped too.

"Is there something the matter, Sir?"  She said, taking a few steps back towards me.

"Yeah, I don't want to walk down these stairs.  May I please take the elevator?  She nodded.

"I assumed you would want to take it, but the elevators do not reach the top floor, so we need to go down to the next landing.  We can board the elevator there and go down to the first floor."  She motioned for me to follow her and again headed down the stairs.

I walked quickly.  The building seemed much busier than it had when I arrived.  All the people around me stopped what they were doing.  They made no attempt to conceal the fact that they were staring at me.  Theu whispered and pointed openly.  I wanted to say something nasty to them,  but I knew it wasn't a brilliant idea.  I wasn’t sure what these vampires were capable of, and really didn't want to find out the hard way.  So I jumped off the stairs and ran to the elevator as quickly as I could.  It took forever for the doors to open.  I almost wished I had taken the stairs just so I didn't have to stand there, eye candy to the gawkers.  After what felt like a year, the doors finally opened.  I was relieved to finally be inside the elevators and behind closed doors.  I could finally stop holding my breath.

"Are you not feeling well, sir?"  The maid said, looking concerned for me.

"I'm fine, I just don't really like people staring at me, especially . . . vampires, or whatever.  It is unnerving, and rude.  They were whispering about me.”  There, I blurted that out.

"Yes, I can understand that.  They're just interested in who you are.  I believe Bobby was the last changed vampire in the palace, so it's always an exciting event when it does happen.  It will die down in a few weeks or so." she said, smiling.

"Vampires are not made very often?" I asked.  I wasn’t sure why I cared.

"No not really.  There are new vampires created and born almost every day.  It just doesn't happen often here in the palace.  There are rules and procedures we have to follow to be able to change or create a vampire." she said, looking impatient and looking at her watch.

"Why are there procedures in place here, but not elsewhere?" I asked.  I noticed my reflection in elevator doors.  I was tired and my hair was more messy than usual.

"Well, the Palace has many functions.  It serves as a home for Prince Luke, the King and Queen, and their immediate Royal circle, which you are becoming a part of.  That is why you are on the top floor."  She explained.  "The rest of the levels serve as offices to run various businesses including all Palace business.  On the Elevator Level, Bobby and Michael have offices.  Michael trains and prepares Bobby to take over for him as Prince Luke’s bodyguard.  Josh and Christopher do their work together on this level, too.  Josh is training for..." The elevator finally if a bit abruptly came to a stop and the doors slid opened.