14

Chapter 14

A thick swirl of steam danced around Frank's nose as he slurped from the disposable cup in his grip. The scent of brown sugar and baked apples filled the police car.

"You see," Frank said, shifting sideways in his seat. He set his coffee in the drink holder and pointed toward the fourth floor. "Her apartment's dark. She hasn't answered the phone because she's probably asleep."

Myles took a deep breath and let it out slowly. His eyes traveled again to the window and then along the dark street. At least the window was closed. Hudson had paid attention to his advice.

The occasional car passed by, beams from their headlights temporarily filling shadows clinging to the sidewalk. Maybe his partner was right? It was late, after all, and Hudson didn't seem the type to stay awake all hours of the night. But when she didn't answer her phone after his third attempt, he'd felt nervous. Now, parked in front of her building with reality staring him in the face, he felt like a total idiot.

"The Glock found in her apartment came back registered to a Walter Clementine in Toledo," Frank continued. "Did I tell you that? The guy reported it missing three years ago."

Myles nodded and bit the nail of his thumb, his gaze fixed on the dashboard in front of him. "Yeah, you told me."

"It sure did make its way around." Frank took a big bite from an apple fritter and brushed away crumbs that fell onto his shirt. "Never ceases to amaze me how far they can get sometimes. Did I ever tell you about the arrest I made a few years back? Fourteen-year-old kid caught with a gun reported missing over thirty years ago in Texas. Thirty years ago in Texas! Can you believe it? Damn thing was more than twice his age."

"Crazy."

"Popped him for carrying a concealed firearm, possession of drug paraphernalia, and possession of alcohol by a person under twenty-one. I'll never forget that kid. Looked just like my brother when he was young."

"Huh."

"Craziest thing was the polka-dot bow tie in his hair, and the sparkly pink tutu when I caught him."

"That's nice."

"Are you even listening to me?" Frank demanded.

Myles' head snapped to attention. "What? Uh, yeah. Of course, I'm listening."

Frank's eyebrows arched. "Then what did I say?"

"You said ..." Myles glanced out the windshield. "You said something about Toledo."

"Damn it, rookie! Where the hell's your head at?" Frank's eyes traveled to the window on the fourth floor. "And do not tell me it's up there with that girl."

"I can't help it." Myles shrugged. "I can't get her out of my mind."

Frank narrowed his eyes. "What's the matter with you? You got blue balls or somethin'? Pitch a tent in your trousers and now you need her to fix it?"

"No! Nothing like that." He shook his head. "I can't explain it. She just seems ... special somehow," he added lamely. The last thing he wanted was for his partner to think he was a pussy.

Hell, even he couldn't explain his fascination with the girl. It wasn't like him to get caught up so quickly. They'd only just met, but Hudson Caldwell had become a permanent fixture in his brain. Thoughts of her made him feel all warm and gooey inside. And he liked it, not that he'd admit that out loud. Frank would think he was weak.

"God, would you stop smiling like that?" Frank grumbled. "You look like a moron. I swear, you're as bad as Ebony."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Myles asked, wiping the grin he hadn't realized was there from his face.