Chapter 14 - Another Story Begins

As the day flew by, I started to think about the time I went up the hill with Radley. Should I go up there again and maybe apologize? No, why do I need to apologize? I never did anything to him. The end of school came and I did walked to that hill.

I gulped and stepped on the big rock that led to the top of the hill. I saw Radley's head once I was half way up the hill. I sat down about 5 feet away from him. "Hi," I smiled not looking at him and breaking the silent awkwardness. He didn't respond. He just kept staring at the sunset. "Rad?"

"What?" he asked rudely.

"Look, I'm sorry about this morning," I frowned. "Radley.."

"Why should you mean something to me when I mean absolutely nothing to you?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. You do mean something to me. We sat there in silence for who knows how long. "I've been through a lot," I whispered not looking at him.

"I know," he said a few minutes later.

More silence took over as the sun began to fade. "What did you wanted to show me that other day I was up here?" I asked turning away from the sun, looking at him.

"That," he smiled. I turned back to where he was pointing and stared at the multicolored sunset. I've read books, watched movies, and heard stories about this kind of thing. Never in my life will I ever thought I would experience it. This wasn't just some weird colors of red, orange, and yellow. No, this was sort of magical I guess. Whatever that meant. It almost looked like a rainbow. There was a mixture of purple, blue, white, yellow, red, pinkish teal, and other stuff I can't explain. Yup, if we didn't miss this the last time I was up here, I would have never beat the crap out of Radley's face.

"That's something..." I trailed.

"Yah," he breathed. A second later, all the pretty colors diappeared and it was just a normal sunset again. Plain and simple: orange and yellow.

"Does this happen everyday?"

"No.. Every week," he smiled still not looking at me.

"It's been a week since the last time I was up here?" I raised an eyebrow.

"You suck at memorizing," he shook his head.

"Say whatever you want," I smiled trying to get this coversation away from my flaws.

"So why did you decided to come up here?" he asked changing the subject.

"I don't know, I just felt like I had to apologize or something," I shrugged.

"Being the good guy?" he raised an eyebrow.

"I've been the good guy."

"Say whatever you want," he smirked, mocking me. And silence grew strong once again. "Have you ever had a moment when you want something to happen, but you expect for it not to happen and then it happens?" he asked breaking the silence. 

"I have no idea where you're going with this, but yeah, I have had that moment," I replied.

"Like when?" 

"Like when I wanted to be friends with this ass, but I knew he wouldn't talk to me and now I'm sitting next to him," I smirked. 

"That wasn't a compliment was it?" he frowned. I rolled my eyes, annoyed.

 "Only smart people would know the correct answer to that question."

"Fine, I'll be less annoying," he said, dumbfounded.

"If it's possible," I muttered hoping he won't hear. He shot me a death glare. I really need to mutter quieter.

"So, it's almost that Winter Wonderland dance crap," he sighed, changing the subject.