Chapter 31

I watched in silence as five Dauntless men and women chased after two ruthless traitors. But really, I was searching for her. For Jem. 

She was easily spotted. What, with her long, straight, flowing hair. She had it tied up in a high-ponytail. She was in the lead of the Dauntless pack, closing down on Four and Tris. They had finally breached the forest line, disappearing through the thick clusters of leaves. 

"Those two better look out" I exclaimed in determination, letting Eric know I was confident we wouldn't let Four and Tris get away, but at the same time reassuring myself that Jem would be alright. 

Eric looked disappointed. Like he really wanted to hunt Four down himself, but he couldn't. He had other things to be taking care of. "Alright" he huffed. "Let's round everyone up and get going". 

Eric and I headed down to where our Dauntless soldiers rounded up all the Amity folk. When we entered that building, it was only then that I remembered why we were here. To kill or take captive any divergents... 

There were lifeless bodies splayed out everywhere. Dauntless people stepping over them with carelessness, Amity people stepping over them with remorse. 

Shock coursed through my veins. So many lay there dead. Only a few, about ten to twenty, had been cuffed, ready to be taken to the 'UnderCroft'. 

Eric shouted a few words to let everyone know we were leaving. But I could not decipher what he was saying. 

"H-how... How come they're dead?" I said in surprise and sorrow. "Weren't they all meant to go the the UnderCroft?" I continued, looking to Eric for an answer. It seemed to be only us two left in the building. 

"These ones are barely divergent. They're probably only ten to thirty percent. Jeanine wants the full term divergents, so she can test them" Eric explained. 

"Test them for what!? This is not right at all!" I quietly raged, not wanting to be heard by anyone. 

"This is not your decision Lize -" he replied before I cut him off. 

"What's my leadership role for then? Hmm?" I said confrontingly, hands on my hips.

I had him. He had nothing else to say... He had no comebacks. Instead he moved on like none of what was just said had actually been said. 

"Jeanine is testing the full term divergents to try find some sort of cure, so as to make sure no one else in our society becomes divergent... ever again" he explained. 

I took a deep, frustrated breath. Geez, this woman is becoming more and more of a pain! She can't just think she runs this entire community. I mean, seriously, what the fucks her problem? I raged silently. 

"Look Lize. I know you have more of a heart than anyone else in leadership right now, but you have to hide that. This is what is going to be happening and I'm sorry to say but... you can't change it" Eric said, shifting his steely eyes from body to body. 

All I had to say back was... "Let's go". 

We made our way to the Dauntless trucks. The last truck that was loaded was the truck with the Amity divergents, all of them had one emotion etched across their sad faces; fear. 

"Eliza, you coming?" Eric questioned, hopping into the drivers seat of one of the trucks. 

"Hang on, there's something I need to do" I replied, heading to Elise and Liv's office. I had to say goodbye. 

"Well you either come with me now or make your way back on another truck" Eric hollered as I walked further away from him.