Chapter 21

Thirty minutes had passed. Jack had left and returned, along with Eric and Judith. Everyone in the room was jittery. No one was able to relax. Especially Jamie, Kaden, Freddy, Edward and Ian; for they each had someone sitting at the table we were sitting at, that they liked, or that they were in a relationship with. 

Jack approached the place where he sat and took a seat. He looked much more calm, compared to before. So I was guessing he had come to a conclusion.

"I have consulted with my associates and we have come to a conclusion that we believe is fair" Jack began, pausing for a little. "Eric Coulter's team of victims and prosecutors will have the final say as to how the accused will be punished" he speedily announced. "That is, if only this chosen punishment will abide with Dauntless and Amity law" he then finished, looking down at Eric and Liv. 

Eric then unanticipatedly turned to Liv, who was still sitting in-between Amy and Jem, then whispered a string of words into her right ear. Everyone's eyes were on them. Yet, no one could hear what Eric was saying. 

After about thirty seconds of Eric's exchange of thought he stood up right and watched Liv. As if to wait for an answer from her. 

Eventually she nodded her head, although it looked like she was unsure. But maybe I was reading the situation wrong. 

"Olivia and I have come to an accord" Eric stated, almost with a little bit of excitement it seemed. 

"Name this agreement" Jack bluntly uttered. 

"The accused will be sentenced to live the rest of their lives within the factionless community" Eric continued, stating him and Liv's final say. 

Jack didn't speak for a bit. Maybe he really, really didn't want these boys to leave. Maybe Emmanuel, Howard, Jackson, Matthew and Mike offered a lot of talent and strength to the faction. But that would not matter anymore. 

Finally, Jack sighed woefully. 

"The court finds the accused guilty and has come to a verdict of punishment... 'factionless life sentence'" he announced with the bang of the hammer for the second time. 

Then the courtroom erupted into noise. Some people cheering, some gossiping and some were even wailing. The people wailing, with tears running down their faces turned out to be Howard, Emmanuel, Jackson, Mike and Matthew's parents or guardians. 

I felt saddened. Thinking of how hard it would be for them. But then I told myself to stop pitying them, for they had done horrible things to my friends and I. 

A wave of people (mostly Dauntless and a few from Amity) had swamped us with questions, comments and hugs. But there was only one person I wanted to be with at this moment in time... That person, was Eric

I searched the crowd for him. I stood on my tippy-toes and kept my eyes peeled for someone tall, muscular and scary. That was always the way to go when looking for him. Because he always had some sort of intimidatingly serious face on and he always stood up straight, puffing out his chest as well as making himself much taller. 

I eventually spotted him. He seemed to be doing the exact same thing I was doing; standing on his tippy-toes. Maybe he was looking for me... 

We made our ways to each other. Then he reached out and wrapped me in his arms. 

"Thanks" I said in a muffled tone, as my face was buried into his chest.