Chapter Seventeen: When In Rome

Jason

The soft, subtle ringing of church bells were the first to awaken me this morning as I opened my eyes in the city of Rome. As I sat up in bed surrounded by plush white sheets, a warm breeze blew into the room from the nearby window as I caught the scent of fresh cut flowers and baked bread. My phone sat on the nightstand next to the bed as I picked it up and checked the screen for messages. There were none. I thought about calling him just to hear his husky voice, but I didn't. Instead, I tossed my phone to the side and threw the covers off as I swung my legs over the edge and planted both feet on the floor.

I showered, brushed my teeth and did my business all within forty-five minutes just as a knock sounded on the door. I unlatched the lock and turned the knob to see my friends all dressed and ready to start their day of fun. I told them to give me a second as I went to go grab my wallet from my suitcase and my cell phone from underneath the blanket next to last night's pj's. A member of the cleaning crew greets us with a smile while saying buongiorno which when translated into english means, "good morning."

A quick ride in the elevator down to the lobby opens the doors to a bustle of activity as lines of guests crowd the check-in desks while businessmen quietly eat their morning breakfast of coffee and scrambled eggs in the dining room. I quickly move out of the way as a hotel porter pushes a metal cart full of luggage as a family of five follows behind him. The parents are clearly American with young children between the ages of four and five as they run around the hotel clearly causing chaos for the worn-out couple.

Once outside, the heat slams into me like a brick wall as I follow closely behind Bree and Alyson. Alice is already on her phone typing away on the screen as her legs move on their own accord, her eyes never look up to see what's coming her way. Autumn has her nose buried in a map of the entire area that shows the best restaurants, shopping establishments, tourist hotspots and a bit of history on some of Rome's most beautiful landmarks around the city. However, crossing the city's streets is another interesting thing about Rome. Italian men are known for calling out to beautiful women in the movies, so it didn't surprise me when they started flirting with my new friends.

"Looks like you girls have some admirers," I said.

Bree laughs. "I prefer to call it 'safe teasing'. Besides, what's wrong with a little friendly competition between friends?"

"Sweetie, we all know that competing with you for men is always a challenge," Autumn replied. "Men always go for you."

"That's not true," I said out of thin air. "I, too, have a guy of my very own."

The girls stop dead in their tracks as they turn to look at me. Bree lowers her sunglasses while Alyson stops chewing her gum as it hangs from her mouth. Alice stops texting, her thumbs frozen in midair and Autumn nearly rips the map in half.

"I knew it!" Bree exclaimed, throwing her arm around me. "You must tell us everything about him. He is big? How is he in bed? Is he a good kisser?"

"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Slow the roll girls, okay? I'll spill the details over a nice breakfast."

They scour the sidewalk for a place to eat that is until Autumn finds a cute little diner across the street that offers a place to sit on the balcony that overlooks the water. Within no time at all, we find ourselves seated and served with drinks that we didn't even order. When asked, the cute male waiter says its compliments from the gentlemen inside. A beige umbrella shields the table from the morning sun as Bree demands to know more about Lucifer. I tell her as much about him as I can, careful not to give too much away about the man I consider to be romantically involved in with on a daily basis.

"He sounds perfect," Bree said as she sat back in her chair. "How long have you two been together?"

"Not long. A month, maybe longer. These last few weeks have been a whirlwind."

"How are those lips of his?" Alyson asks with a sly smile.

"Picture yourself floating on air, your body lifeless. When he kisses me, I feel like the rest of the world doesn't even exist, that it's just us two."

"Aww, that' so sweet."

A few more bites and one paid bill later, we left the diner in search of adventure. Bustling city streets, friendly locals and so much history made Rome my favorite ideal vacation spot. When we reach a stonewall that overlooks the ocean, the city that was once bustling with activity suddenly becomes eerie silent as the citizens and my friends stand still like statues. What the hell? I thought to myself.

"Jason," says a man's voice as he walks through the crowd. "It's so nice to finally meet you."

His eyes are black. His skin dark, almost glowing with just a hint of luminance. And he's dressed casual just like any other tourist here. A sense of calm comes over me when I should be nervous of the man standing in front of me.

"Who are you? What's going on here?"

"Take it easy for a minute, I just want to talk."

"Than why is everyone frozen? Why not just pull me aside like a normal person?"

"I prefer to talk in silence and don't worry about everyone else. They're fine. When we're done they won't notice the difference."

"What do you want?"

He shakes his head. "Always with the questions. Lucifer-"

"How do you know-"

"We're old friends you might say. Brother's in fact. I just had to lay my eyes on the one person who's stolen my brother's heart. Amazing. I can see why Lucifer's quite taken with you."

"You don't know anything about me."

"Oh, that's where you're wrong, Jason. I was there at the moment you were brought into this world. I've watched you die countless times only to be reborn again. And I know that you are Lucifer's."

"How do you know that?"

He chuckles. "The mark at the base of your neck is easy to see, especially to those like Lucifer and me."

"And what are you?"

"You know what? I don't believe I've ever met a human same as you who asks too many questions. But, if this is your last and I pray to god that it is, I will tell you what I am. I'm an angel."

I scoff, shaking my head. "This day just keeps getting better and better."

He turns his head to the left as a pair of magical wings appear behind him. Gray, rustic feathers that look worn with age, align with gold along the edges of the tips. They span out even further giving me a full frontal view.

"Do you believe me now?" He asks, stepping closer. I nod, my lips not saying a word. Then he says, "My time is needed elsewhere right now. But I look forward to seeing you again real soon. Take care of yourself, Jason."

Then the people around me begin to move, their voices quickly fill the air that was once silent. I look back to find the mysterious angel only to see him gone. Bree calls for my attention as my eyes meet hers.

"Jason? Are you okay?"

"No," I mutter, then speak up. "Yeah, I'm fine. Uh, sorry, did you find some place to go?"

"Yes. We're going to visit the Colosseum."

"Great! Let's get to it."

Author's Note: Hello, my lovelies! Sorry this is so late in getting to you all. I hit a snag mid-way through when I was first writing this chapter. I was on a role, listening to Jason talk to me and then *instant pause* nothing. Suddenly he wasn't there anymore. It was like something, or someone else had gotten his attention. How rude! LOL.

Anyways, hope you all love it! And remember to Vote, Comment & Follow for more future updates