vi.i

Two warriors
Took Snowykit out of the camp.
Guiding her gently, so she wouldn't expect anything.
So she wouldn't expect she was being lead to her death.
Much of the clan followed.
I followed.
For some reason I couldn't stay away.

Silverleaf stared straight ahead. Nightpaw almost wanted to talk to her, but she didn't dare say a word. Instead she looked for her sister.

She picked out Dawnpaw right away, as her pale gray fur stood out among the darker colors of the other cats. Dawnpaw was more subdued than Nightpaw had ever seen her, padding calmly beside her mentor and looking up at the sky so often that Nightpaw was sure she would trip on the uneven stones.

Will we be here two moons from now? Nightpaw tried to crush the thoughts, but in the darkness her mind seemed to be harder to restrain. Will we be here, as the Enforcers lead Dawnpaw to her death?

She looked for Puddlepaw. She wanted to think about some other cat, any other cat that wasn't her sister.

Puddlepaw was easy to find, even though he was far in front of Nightpaw and Silverleaf. He was whispering to Grayflower persistently, lashing his tail as she answered his questions.

Nightpaw made a game for herself to occupy her mind as she followed Silverleaf. Blackpaw. Where's Blackpaw?

Blackpaw was visibly shaking beside his mentor. His head swayed back and forth as his gaze flicked between the cats behind and in front of him.

In front of him. Duskshade was directly in front of Blackpaw, and Snowykit was directly in front of him. Snowykit skipped at a slight angle, her small paws swaying off course because she could not see where she was going.

Nightpaw wracked her mind for another cat, to search for in order to keep her thoughts off of what was to happen soon.

Rosepaw.

Rosepaw was with her mentor as well, padding solemnly, her eyes fixed straight ahead. Nightpaw scowled. Why she wasn't fond of Rosepaw she wasn't certain, but something about the ginger she-cat set her on edge.

The cats in the front of the procession stopped. Nightpaw's heart pounded as she followed Silverleaf to a place where they sat down. Silverleaf closed her eyes.