vi.iii

Stop

Splashclaw moved so quickly Nightpaw didn't have time to look away. One second was all it took.

One second to cut off Snowykit's shrill scream as her father's claws dug into her body.

The wind tossed fallen leaves over the cats. The Enforcers padded away, their eyes looking everywhere but at the kit.

Snowykit's tiny shape was limp on the ground, beautiful white fur drenched in her blood.

Not one cat moved. Not one cat screamed or cried or yowled or ran away.

This was somehow routine.

Splashclaw looked straight ahead, his paws dark with his daughter's blood.

Nightpaw shook, her fur brushing against Silverleaf's. Why? Why do they think this is okay?

Silverleaf was shaking. Her eyes were closed and she was breathing shallowly.

Nightpaw couldn't take her eyes away from Snowykit. The strong wind whipped her now-red fur, and when Nightpaw squinted she could pretend Snowykit was breathing.

Slowly, they all began to leave, returning to the camp. Silverleaf was one of the first to go, stumbling as she got up, breathing heavily and leaning slightly against another warrior, Ravenstep, as they padded back to camp. Nightpaw, watching her mentor, noticed Silverleaf's eyes were almost closed and she seemed to be struggling to stay standing.

Nightpaw turned to follow her, but Dawnpaw stayed.

"Dawnpaw?" Nightpaw found it wrong to break the silence. "Dawnpaw, let's go."

Dawnpaw shook he head. She wasn't looking at Snowykit's body, like Nightpaw assumed she would. But when she saw what Dawnpaw was looking at, Nightpaw wondered how she  could have thought anything different.

"I'm looking for Snowykit."

Nightpaw sighed. Snowykit can't be up there, she wanted to tell Dawnpaw. Snowykit wasn't perfect.

"I'm going back to the camp," Nightpaw sighed.

Dawnpaw didn't respond.

Her eyes were focused on the sky.