2.6

E M B E R

"What's up?" Ash sounds worried.

"Do you have time to talk?"

"Yeah. Of course," he replies, and it sounds like he's moving around.

"It's about Luke—"

"What did he do? Should I smack him upside the head?" he cuts in.

"No no! He didn't do anything. No smacking!" I tell him, trying not to laugh. It's so nice to talk to Ashton. He's like a protective big brother—annoying, but endearingly so.

"Okay, then. What's wrong?"

I don't respond as I think about today again.

"Em?"

I sigh softly and look down, and Sam looks up at me, wagging her tail happily.

"Did Luke tell you about...um...something he and I did a little while back?" I start walking again, and I brush my hair behind my ear.

He's silent for a second, and I open my mouth to say something, but he responds, "Are you pregnant?"

"What? No!" I say quickly before pausing. I think back. Did he use a condom? "Wait. Oh my god, I don't remember if he used a condom," I whisper, and Ash groans.

"LUKE!" he yells, and I squeak.

"No! Don't call him over! I need to talk to you. You specifically," I tell him, and he grunts.

"Fine. But we need to talk about this whole pregnant thing later."

"Who's pregnant?" It's Michael's voice.

"Nobody. Just talking about a TV show. You wouldn't be interested," Ash says before I can blurt out something stupid. "Anyway, what was it you wanted to say?"

"Thank you. You're a genius," I breathe in relief. He giggles, and I smile. "I wanted to ask you—do you think Luke loves me?"

"Yes. Absolutely."

"Why were you calling Luke?" Michael asks loudly, and Ash groans.

"I couldn't find my wristband, but I found it," he replies smoothly. "Right. Yeah. Why do you ask?" he says to me, and I sigh.

"What if I'm just an easy fuck?"

"Wasn't the other day the first time? Why would you think that? And if he really wanted that, he could literally pick up his phone and have that," he responds.

"Yeah. And ew tmi."

"He doesn't do it, though. Anyway, you still haven't answered my question."

"Who you talking to?" This time, it's Calum.

"You can tell him," I say as Sam sniffs a bush.

"Ember," he says before saying to me, "Answer my question."

"I want to talk to her!" Michael whines.

"In a minute," Ash tells him patiently.

"This bitch at school—"

"Okay. I got it. Don't listen to what those jealous girls, say, okay? You two are good. Great, even. Don't let anything they say or do get to you."

"Thank you, Ash. I really needed to hear that," I say, a smile forming on my face.

"Of course," he responds, and I remember.

"Wait. I called Luke a minute ago, and he didn't answer?"

"Calum, go get Luke," Ash says. "He was probably on the bathroom or something. Calum'll get him."