1.2

E M B E R

Crash! 

"Shit!" I hear some scuffling outside the door, and I tentatively walk to it. "Fucking plant." It sounds like Luke.

"Hey! Apologize right now!" Someone that sounds suspiciously like Ash scolds.

"I'm sorry, planty."

"You fucking murdered planty! Sorry isn't going to bring him back to life," It sounds like Calum, and I can hear the sound of Michael's laughter.

I can't hold back my giggles and throw open the door, making Luke shriek in surprise and Michael almost fall backwards over the railing.

"Oh shit," I laugh as Ash steadies Michael. Calum continues to fuss over the plant, and Luke glances at me, his cheeks pink. "What are you guys doing here?"

"I wanted to see you," Luke says, giving me a sheepish smile. I feel my cheeks warm, and I look away, unable to hide my smile.

"Are you trying to revive it?"

"It never stopped breathing," Ash points out.

"How do you know that?" Michael retorts.

"It's fine," I laugh, moving outside and fixing the plant.

"Sorry about the plant," Luke says, and I chuckle.

"It's no problem."

"Is it okay if we talk?"

"Yeah?" I reply as Calum helps me up. "Thanks."

"Like, alone?" Luke says pointedly, and I shrug.

"Come on in, then. We can talk in the kitchen."

The guys walk into the house, and as soon as they do, Calum shrieks in glee, making me jump in surprise.

"YOU HAVE A DOG!" He runs over to Sam, who was just walking around the corner toward us. "Oh my god, she's so fucking cute."

I start laughing as I watch Calum practically attack Sam in a bear hug.

"You're being creepy. Stop being creepy," Ash says, making Michael snort.

"It's fine," I assure him, and Luke touches my arm. I look to him before saying, "Right. Um. You guys make yourselves at home."

Luke and I walk into the kitchen, and I put some water in the kettle before setting it on the stove.

"About Ann," he begins. "I'm sorry she's such a bitch."

"Not your fault." My heart clenches as I remember what she said to me.

"I want you to know that she's wrong about you. And..." He trails off, and I look at his face. His blue eyes flicker around the room, as if he's avoiding looking at me. "Do you like me?" he suddenly blurts out, and I blink.

"What?"

"What?"

I stare at him, and he bites his lip ring nervously. "I do like you," I say slowly, watching his reaction. "But what does that have to do with anything?"

"Just..." He looks away. "Let's keep in touch, yeah?"