"Hey, Jake, can they come? We've got loads of food! Well, we'll have loads of food." I turned to my friend, looking at him with hopeful big eyes. Paul rested his hands on my shoulders, and I grinned even wider.

Why couldn't things with Jasper be that easy and quick? 

"Well, sure."

I stared at the cheesecake, three hours later. Luckily, there was not only leftover lasagna in the fridge, but some chicken, and I quickly made the group (that grew, as another friend of Jacob joined; Quil) a caesar salad as an opening dish. 

The preparation of the cheesecake was of five hours, so I was only checking on it, and quickly moved on to the ribs and the potato salad I was making them. It was almost ready, so I quickly left the kitchen to take away the crispy (and heavenly) onion rings I have made them (disappointed to find only three left), as well as the simple salad and the very few leftovers of the caesar salad. 

"Hold on, Ashley, I'll help you taking it back," Paul offered, standing up and leaving Embry in the middle of arm-wrestling, annoyed.

"Thanks Paul," I said with a wide smile. He took the onion rings away from me, snacking on one as we walked back into the kitchen. 

"Oh lord, it smells like heaven in here," he commented, sniffing. "The three hours it took are okay with me now, you're holy."

I giggled, setting everything on the counter. "Would you be a dear and help me get all the dirty plates here, please?" I asked, stepping closer and looking up at him through my eyelashes.

"Anything for you," he said simply and the two of us made our way back to the dining room, grabbing all the dirty plates.

We chatted happily, casually, as I took out the ribs, slicing them, and as I put the roasted potato salad in a wide bowl, sprinkling some vinegar on it and letting Paul set it on the table as I took the ribs. We set everything on the table, and everyone quickly put some in their (new and clean) plates, Paul sitting down immediately, the seat next to him free. I hesitated for a moment before returning to the kitchen.

I needed to clean whatever mess I have made, so I quickly started washing everything, before I felt a hand on my back.

"It's okay Jake, I'm not hungry." 

"I don't care, come on and eat already."

"Jake," I waved him off, "I'll come by later."

"Ash, come on. I know you and something is wrong, so just tell me what."

"Just," I hesitated. "It's nothing Jake, really."

"Then come on and eat it off!" Jacob said happily with a carefree smile, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the kitchen.

"Alright, alright!" I agreed with a laugh, and he released my hand as I took my spot next to Paul, who was devouring the ribs gladly. 

"Did you guys even leave anything for the chef?"

"It was awesome," Quil said happily as he and Embry made their way out. "Invite us over next time you do it as well, Ash. Or, you know, we could always make a trip to Forks if it means food."

"Sure," I smiled at them, taking their empty plates that only moments ago were carrying their slice of cheesecake. "Good night Embry, Quil. See you around!"

"Bye!" they both waved, walking off, starting to laugh after a short exchange of words.

"I'd ask you the recipe for this fucking heaven--" Billy coughed as a warning- "in my mouth, but I'm as good as a dog in a safari when it comes to making food."

I smiled at Paul, "but you're kind of good at eating it."

"Yeah, I guess we make a good team," he grinned, making me laugh.

We settled to silence after a while, and I sat back, watching the four men in the living room, intrigued by the fact Billy was staring at Jared intently. 

"Hey, Jared," I spoke as I saw how flushed he was, "are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm feeling a bit odd though..." he trailed off, and I stood up. 

"You look a bit odd, too," I commented, stepping closer and resting a hand on his forehead. "Man, you're burning up!"

Billy came closer, "You should go home, Jared. And, uh, open the door to the first person that will knock."

"Yeah..." Jared agreed as he stood up. He seemed confused, and I was trying to figure out Billy's comment about opening the door when Jared slammed the door shut.

"Well, it's getting late..." Paul trailed off as he stood up. "I think I'm gonna head home now, see you around Jake, Billy. Ash--"

"I'll come with you and give you a ride," I offered. "I really should go home too."

"Yeah, careful on the road," Billy said with a warm smile. "You should come more often, Ashley. Bye Paul, come by as well. Excuse me though, I must make a phone call."

"Bye Billy," I smiled and waved as he wheeled his way to the other room, leaving me with Jake and Paul.

"See you later, Ash," Jacob squeezed me. 

"Bye Jake," I smiled as I squeezed him in return, and after he and Paul quickly bid farewell, the two of us made our way to my car. He gave me a smile as we walked side-by-side.

"Thanks for giving me a ride, Ashley."

"Anytime Paul."

"Hey, you haven't got my phone number, right?"

"No," I replied after a moment, and he gestured at me to give him my phone. I obeyed, and he quickly typed in his number under the name Paul Lahote.

"Paul Lahote?" I questioned, and he nodded. "More like Paul La Hottie."

And we both exploded in laughter as he hugged me closer. "Now that's a first."