Chapter 9

"Again...trapped in a terrifying and suffocating pitch-black nightmare countless time made him wanted to end his life on the spot. Deep down in his heart seemed restless as something really difficult to explain; an unfinished business. He did not know what was it but it was really killing his head now. This was the first time he felt excruciatingly painful as if his head would exploded any moment. The more he tried to think who he is now the more his head blasted in pain. He felt frustrated for being helpless and paralysed. His fighting spirit was unbelievably strong for he rather endured the pain than numbness and nothingness."

Once again Gii's bedroom was stroke by chaos as he was having a seizure. The beeping sound of the EKG and his brain activity suddenly escalated. The doctors and nurses rushed to stabilise his sudden state. A drop of tear trickled down from the corner of his left eyes. Hope soared among the medical staff.

Good news travelled fast. Both Mr. and Mrs. Saki rushed to their son's bedroom as soon as the great discovery reached to their ears. Naomi could not hold her tears anymore. She slumped onto the chair next to his son's bed holding his skinny left hand tightly calling desperately in between broken sobs, "Ryu baby... please baby... Ryu... wake up..." Mr. Saki was too stunned to react only able to hold the chair until his knuckle became white. He too was hoping that his beloved and precious son will awake soon.

From that moment, Naomi was always by his side trying to stimulate her son's response. Day by day, she was never tired talking; story-telling but not a single thing about being with Takumi. New bedtime stories created to stimulate Gii's response. Deep in her heart she felt sad for betraying her beloved son. She did not want to lose her only precious son. She had to obey the special rules drawn by her husband and afraid her unwise action might jeopardise her son's slim opportunity to finally awaken from the vegetative-state.

Fatigue robbed her conscious and fast asleep near her son. A very tiny muscle twitched felt at the centre of her palm. She jolted and sat erect on the chair blinking her eyes multiple times and stared thoroughly upon her beloved son for any sign of movement. "Ryu baby, mommy's here... wake up dear... I miss you so much..." she pleaded while grasping her son's left hand. Stroking his hair lovingly and kept whispering endearing words to encourage any vital response.

A single drop of tear glistened at the corner of his left eye. A slight movement on his eyelids made Naomi heart soared above the sky. Her adrenaline was pumping wild, her heart beat drummed. Miraculously both Gii's eyes popped open like a pod mechanically. "Doctor!! Hurry!! Ryu has awaken..." Naomi cried happily as her prayer answered.

She backed away to let the medical staff did their job. A sequence of examination and medical check-up were carried out to check his remarkable recovery. Mr. Saki later walked in pulling his wife in his arms and they were both witnessing the whole process of recovery. After the situation calm, Mr. and Mrs. Saki greeted their son. He was still asleep but both were satisfied their son had shown tremendous sign of hope.

Spring time in New York at the end of April and May has brought Gii back to reality. He was still unable to speak but able to smile a little bit and his eyes able to communicate radiantly. The routine with the medical staff went on as usual. His parents kept on cheering him to his full come back. He undergone various tests and physiotherapist worked on his muscles and joints. The psychologist and the brain expert help him with his memory and literacy.

By early June as summer break started, Gii was able to speak normally and focused more on his physical revival. After three months bed-ridden, Gii finally able to walk using crutches so he did not put unnecessary pressure on his injured leg. He was able to move to the gym, library and sometime enjoying the panorama at the balcony facing the lush green City Park at the heart of Manhattan.