3.15 Nina

There was so much of him that haunted her. Words, memories, feelings emerging with a quick hit to the heart, from the lightest gusts that carried the fresh smell of rain and the dew of cold morning that made her yearn for those innocent moments by the pond. All these memories added to the madness.

Standing in Niendry's chamber, Aurelie looked around to find her little black pouch that held the opium. Her dreams were so vivid under its effect that she was almost sure it would take her to the Dream Realm if she inhaled enough.

The questions she had for the Keeper seemed irrelevant now. She understood that in searching for answers from people who could not truly give it to her; she was prolonging her absence from the Realm. The pouch lay under a pile of clothing, in a leather trunk within which clothes lay overturned and crinkled. Aurelie scrambled around inside for the opium and left once she found it.

When she walked into the hall, Niendry approached with her thin lips stretched into a smile. "That won't be very good for the baby," she said once the two of them passed each other, making Aurelie stop and turn.

Niendry continued her walk with long and graceful strides that made the soft silk of her robe flow like the waves of the river in the moonlight. "Also, you could have just asked," she said before disappearing through the door.

Aurelie inspected the black, chalk-like substance in her hand. If it was bad for the baby why did Niendry give it to her in the first place when they attempted to find Kirin's spirit? The recreational use of opium was frowned upon, so Aurelie couldn't exactly go ask one of the healers if what she said was true, and the old grouch in the botanical quarter would have blast telling everyone who passed him that Aurelie had it in her possession if she were to ask him.

The obvious choice was to give it back. She wasn't going to use it if there was even a little chance that the child could be harmed but feeling too embarrassed to be in Niendry's presence again quite so soon, she decided upon doing it later.

Aurelie was about to hide it between the top of her skirt and stomach when General Donahue stepped around the corner followed by a maid holding a tray of food. His eyes fell to her hand and widened. He grabbed the vial, his features gaining the spark of a furious animal.

Oh, she'd done it now! Aurelie opened her mouth to defend herself but was cut off before she could utter a single word.

"This is unacceptable." His knuckles whitened as he squeezed the vile. "How irresponsible!" He flung the vile against the wall.

Aurelie winced, looking from his face to the shattered glass and scattered powder lying on the floor. His anger made her want to blabber the purpose of the opium out right there where they stood, but she kept silent watching his face go red and his lips move to throw out more disappointments.

"...not expect this from you. Not this." His finger pointed toward the vile. " How can you be this selfish still? For once in your life, you spoiled little wench, think of someone other than yourself."

Aurelie eyes teared up. "I wasn't going to use it," she said, her voice barely audible.

He bared his teeth in something between the start of a furious growl and a smile. "Well, you certainly won't be using it now." General Donahue grabbed her by the arm and pulled her closer. "You should be in bed."

Aurelie closed her eyes, taking a deep soothing breath. "Get your hands off me," she said between clenched teeth, the fire in her eyes making a dim appearance.

"Or what?" he spat, yanking her closer so that his breath touched her skin.

Aurelie pulled her hand, struggling against his grip. Upon failure, she stilled and returned his raging glare. "You don't want to find out, General. I'm trying to be on my very best behavior here, but we both know I'm a little bit mad."