12. Tear the World Down: Part Three

Start from the beginning

You also may be wondering how I know all this. You can call it sisterly intuition--okay, just kidding, I like to snoop and found suicide notes ready under your bed and your conversations with the guys you met online. Instead of killing yourself, I have a proposition.

Take over when I'm gone. When I kill myself--and if you're reading this, it means that I already have--I want you to have Fear Games. I used it for my purposes, to feed the darkness inside of me. I'll admit, I had my moments of wanting to change. Wanting to get help. Are people born evil? If they are, that's probably me. I'm actually laughing at how ridiculously heartfelt this letter is considering how much I've always just hated the world around me. And come to think of it...maybe I'm not evil. Or maybe I am. Only God, if there even is one, can make that judgment for me.

You're also probably really confused. I am, too. I'm confused with myself. But take the Games, Damien. Take Fear Games and use it to your benefit. You know what you have to do. You know what you want. Desensitizing yourself is the only way to not feel pain anymore. Desensitizing yourself, becoming a killer, will make you feel better. Stronger. Powerful. While I never truly experienced love, you were (and trust me, I want to throw up just saying this) the closest I had to that. The hell I put you through wasn't for nothing.

It was to make you stronger.

The Games are in your hand, little brother. Tear the world down before it does it to you. It'll all be worth it.

Sincerely,

Daisy

***

Eden 

I gasped in horror as we stepped down into the basement, revealing Peter to be hooked up to a cross machine, just like Damien and Luke were, nearly unconscious. Beside him, there was an empty one, and without any word, I already knew what this meant.

"No," I cried, running over to Peter. "Oh my God, no!"

There was a note attached to his chest, and I ripped it off, reading the instructions.

Dear Eden,

It's very clear to me that this kid means a lot to you. A lot more than he probably should, considering you've only known him a short while. But there's an interesting fact that you might not know.

Peter, I'm afraid, is in love with you. Or rather, has a very big crush on you. Has for a while now. Anyone with eyes could see it. And I'm afraid it's come down to you making a choice.

There's an empty cross next to him, completely ready to go. One size fits all.

Peter's eyes fluttered open immediately as I finished reading the note. He caught a glimpse of me reading, and in a whispered voice, he said, "Don't read that."

"Peter," I said, my eyes filling with tears. "Peter, is this true?"

He wouldn't look me in the eyes. I knew it was true. Peter had feelings for me, and while I didn't feel for him the same way...it changed everything. He wasn't just a friend, he was much closer than that, and I had to save him.

"I'm doing it," I said, walking over to the cross.

"Eden, wait!" Rachel screamed. "You can't!"

"What else am I supposed to do?" I said. "Let him die? I can't do that. He needs my help. I have to save him. You know how that feels."

"No," my mother said. "Eden, don't do this."

"I have to!"

Mom shook her head, walking over to me. She put her hands on my shoulders and looked directly into my eyes. "Let me do it."