2. Call to Action

Start from the beginning

The Mystery Masquerade was just another person we had to mix into this mess. It was bad enough that as many people were involved as they were, but it never seemed to end. There had to be a way to stop this from getting completely out of hand, but I hadn't thought that far ahead yet.

"What about Audrey?" Matt asked. "Could she be helping this person?"

"I've considered it," I said. "Audrey's supposed to be helping us, but sometimes I wonder. She's been a bit flakey lately, but I think she's starting to realize just how caught up she is in this and doesn't want to possibly face jail time."

Haven snorted. "It's a little late for that, don't you think?"

"What I'd like to know is what our next step is," Matt said. "I already got the date with Josh. What's next?"

"You know I can't tell you that," I said. And it was true. I wished I could tell Matt everything, but the less he knew, the better. "Just trust me on this."

Daisy would be proud.

***

Josh

When Matt finally arrived for our date, my nerves were starting to kick in. Despite my fear, I went outside to his car, climbing in the passenger seat. Once again, was all dressed up, with a purple button-up shirt and a purple and blue tie. 

It was sort of cute.

"Am I supposed to be dressy?" I asked self-consciously.

Matt gave me a questioning look. "Is this dressy? I didn't notice."

I laughed it off and the two of us were driving down the road to wherever it is that Matt felt like taking me. He claimed he already had an idea in mind, but wouldn't tell me where exactly. After a few minutes of driving, we pulled onto the highway, leaving town.

"Where exactly are we going?" I asked.

Matt smiled at me. "It's a secret."

Although I trusted Matt completely, my gut gave me a...feeling. The type of feeling you get when you think you're being watched, or that feeling you get when something seems out of place. Yet I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

We drove through the mountains, which was some nice scenery, although our entire city was surrounded by them. But actually riding through the mountains felt different. It was exhilarating, really.

After we made it, I noticed a car behind us. It was the only car I'd seen in miles, and it definitely piqued my interest. 

"How long has that car been there?" I asked.

"What car?" Matt asked, looking into his rearview mirror. "Huh. I didn't notice them before. Normally this road's empty."

"Well, it's not now," I said. Just as I spoke, the car behind us started speeding up.

"Asshole," Matt muttered. "He needs to get off me."

Matt started speeding up a little more, but the car stayed right on top of us. Something about this felt wrong. Very wrong. 

"What are they doing?" Matt said.

I opened my mouth to respond when the car crashed right into us. It wasn't too far, but it was enough to make us both jerk forward. Matt almost slammed his head into the steering wheel, but quickly regained control of the car.

"What the--"

The car crashed into us again, sending us off the road toward the cliff right beside us. I screamed, expecting us to fall right over the cliff toward our deaths, but instead, Matt stopped the car by slamming on the breaks and jumped out.