Chapter Ninety-Four

Start from the beginning

"General Hux, there's a reason that Nira Leven is out on the battlefield and you aren't. I'm impressed you had the nerve to question her abilities. If you'll pardon me for saying so, but for you, someone who sits on the base, endlessly offers rudimentary, guarantee-failure ideas, and never does anything for anyone except for himself to claim that someone like Nira did a bad job is absolutely ridiculous. Nira was stellar and that's the end of it." I stated firmly. 

"Gentleman." Senator Bakar gave a quiet, but strong, warning to both of us. 

General Hux, however, ignored the warning. "Ms. Leven certainly doesn't look like she handled the battlefield that well. I mean, look at her!" He paused, laughed, and gestured at Nira. I glanced at my love. Her face was beginning to turn red and she looked down at her lap in embarrassment. 

Hux continued. "She was almost decent looking when she left, but now -- "

That was the end of my patience. My anger levels had risen too high, and now Hux was going to pay. 

How dare he try to insult Nira. Nira is easily eighty times the person he is, I thought as I shot my palm outwards under the table. 

Hux's ignorant sentence was cut off by a cough, and a gag. His eyes widened and reached mine. His mouth was stuck open, driven open by The Force that flowed through my fingertips. His weak hands reached up to his throat and clawed at the invisible power that gripped around it, robbing him of his useless breath --

"Gentleman!" Senator Bakar exclaimed angrily, standing up and slamming her palms against the table. I let Hux writhe for a few seconds after Bakar's outburst, but then released him. He collapsed against the table and pathetically gasped for breath. 

I turned back to face the Senator, who was glaring at me. I didn't reply to her anger. 

"If I may, Senator. All of you were too afraid to come out and fight for your safety, to fight for your force field, while Ms. Leven was fully prepared and willing. You are to treat her with respect and give her a good report, because that's exactly what she deserves. You weren't there because you were too cowardly, so you didn't have a chance to view her performance. Don't assume things that you have no right to assume or even think about assuming." I paused, waiting for them to absorb my harsh, but true, words. 

"Now, I'd like to speak to Ms. Leven alone about her performance as a mentor." I spoke this, signaling the end of the meeting. Senator Bakar didn't say another word, but rather began gathering up her things. 

Everyone in the conference stood and began making their ways towards the door. There was a thick, angry tension in the air. I walked over to the door as well and made sure all of the officials filed out. "Will there be a follow-up conference?" I asked Senator Bakar as she exited the room. 

"No." She firmly answered, and then briskly made her way out of the room. 

The metal door slid shut. I could sense Nira was nervous to hear about her private evaluation. 

I turned, and removed my helmet. Nira was only a few feet from me. As soon as the helmet was unattached to my head, I shook my hair loose and set the helmet down on the table. I took a quick step towards Nira. 

In one fluid motion, I put one hand behind her neck, one hand on her waist, and pulled her close to me. I pressed my lips onto hers and began to kiss her. 

She was taken aback. It took her a moment to begin kissing me back, but when she did, bliss washed over my body and I felt the tingles in my gut. 

The warming sensation she always gives me flowed from her lips to mine and spread throughout my entire body. My stomach suddenly felt empty and I had the jitters. Nira tentatively placed her hands on the chest of my armor.