Chapter 1

"For the first time,
things felt like they would be okay."

•   •   •

(Your POV)

Ah, fourth year, the epitome of a good time (note the sarcasm). I've been at this bloody school for four years, but instead of joyously chattering with my friends, I'm stuck here—sitting alone at the end of the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. I'd rather be sitting with the trio, but it seemed they had forgotten of my existence after first year. And even more than I wanted to sit with the trio, I wanted to sit with Draco. Draco Malfoy.

A Gryffindor having a crush on the Slytherin Prince was practically unheard of, but if he wasn't a godawful Slytherin, he would a pretty handsome git. I mean, who couldn't resist the Malfoy charm?

The infamous Harry Potter, the Chosen One, the Boy who Lived, whatever you want to call him, used to be my friend, until one day he was too cool to be friends with a Gryffindork nobody. He still acknowledges me when he can, or when he has to, but that's the maximum extent of our "friendship".

Everyone was buzzing about the news that Harry has magically gotten into the tri-wizard tournament. I mean seriously, what else could anyone expect? Ron had stopped talking to Harry for a while after his name got pulled. It was really weird to see the three friends on
no-speaking terms.

Ron had come up to me a couple times and started talking about the Yule Ball. I suspected he wanted to ask me considering the fact that every time he came up to me, he would gingerly rub the back of his neck, stutter out a  "H-hey you k-know the Bal-l? We-ll I wa-s wonderi-ing if-" before taking down the hall again.

I honestly don't want  him to ask me. It's obvious he has a thing for Hermione and I  don't want to be a  second choice. Of course I want to go, but I doubt there's anyone who would ask me. At least as their first choice.

I sighed not realizing I was completely staring off into space heading towards Defense Against the Dark Arts when I bumped into someone.

"Sorry, sorry. So sorry." I mumbled.

"Watch it," I realized the voice instantly and my face flushed red.

I looked up and saw Draco's white hair falling into his face. It scattered in random directions ever since third year when he decided not to slick it back anymore. I tried to avoid staring but it looked so cute. He wore his famous smirk and laughed before shoving passed me like it was nothing. I sighed sadly.

I skittered to class and took a seat in the back corner where no one was going to notice me. Draco sauntered in late and by then most of the seats were taken. He waltzed  over and had a shine in his eyes that probably meant I'm going to sit here. He pulled out a chair next to me and I instantly burrowed my head into my book so he wouldn't notice me.

"Do you have a quill I could borrow?" He asked slightly embarrassed as he pushed the book away from my face.

"Sure," my wrist was shaking as I handed him a black feathered quill.

"What's your name?" I heard him say, not quite sure if he was talking to me. Of course he didn't know my name.

"My name's [Y/N]," I said picking up my book and keeping my gaze aimed at one of the pages. I talked quietly, afraid if I said anything too loudly I'd get noticed by someone else. This was probably the most I've ever spoken to him and I was afraid I kept messing everything up.

"Oh," he said and said nothing else for a while.

I was just sitting in the silence when he blurted  "Who are you going to the Yule Ball with?"